• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Video - "The Struggle of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Ask Dr. Ernst"

Aurator

"If you're feeling like there's no place else to turn, then Dr Ernst is someone who can help you".

There's an unsettling degree of confidence here in Dr Ernst's assertion that "there are three common triggers for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome", especially in her choice of "childhood trauma" as one of them; she seems to be assuming as proven what remains to be proved. There's an even more unsettling absence of suggested solutions to CFS, and quite how Dr Ernst did in fact help the lady who appears, for testimonial purposes, at the end of the six minute video is not stated.

Toxed

Certified in Environmental Medicine, ATSDR
I'm not sure if this is "kosher," I read the text rather than drone through the video. I'm a speed reader. So there's most likely discrepancies.

I also question the "childhood trauma" theory. I don't know one person that has had a perfect childhood. I do feel that stress is toxic, but I don't buy into the whole "retained trauma from childhood" thing. #3 if very apt. Removing dietary and environmental toxins goes a long way in remediating symptoms of chronic illness. It puts less strain on your immune system, which leaves more resources available for your body to use on the remaining problems.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Someone else who thinks they can earn money off the desperate. :rolleyes:

I wish people who can't think their way out of a wet paper bag would take their helping skills elsewhere.
ME doesn't need that kind of help--has it in spades already. What she has to say is simplistic, not new and doesn't really shed any light on anything new regarding etiology of ME. #2 is just bullshit--like she would know this how?

For a look at some ideas on thinking from some of the worlds top minds see: http://www.dailygood.org/story/478/...ll-help-you-understand-the-world-aimee-groth/

Like so many before her we are provided with holes in thinking you could sail a galaxy through. At present great minds are at work doing real research and uncovering the complexity that is ME--but don't let that influence you Dr Ernst knows how to help.
No doubt there's some correspondence course out there by some obscure psychology dept offering these insights so that anyone can become an expert.

And yes, this is all very harsh judgment on my part. I'm fed up with the chronic fatigue crowd thinking they know something about ME.
see: http://drsarahernst.com/chronic-fatigue/

Particularly this: You could have chronic fatigue if you suffer from extreme low levels of energy, fatigue after exertion, difficulty with memory or concentrating, loss of interest in activities,
how many PWME have loss of interest in activities?
she's describing depression. She doesn't even bother to educate herself. <SIGH>

But there's money to be made. I wish these people could be taken to court.

The pressing problem of world hunger needs solving maybe she feels up to the challenge.