• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Video: How Cells Produce Energy: The Basics and ME/CFS

That was a great little video. The only thing I'd like to add is that in addition to a CFS person not being able to produce enough energy for their basic functioning making them feel tired, at least from my experience, is that simply feeling unwell in whatever way that might be, even say being in pain, also consumes alot of energy. This magnifies and compounds the problem. Being sick consumes vast quantities of energy. When I am not doing well at all, and suffering, I can feel my body burning up tons of energy, even if I'm simply lying down, half asleep. I actually think a sick person even lying down (and I mean quite sick, and for me pain as well) burns at least as much energy as a healthy person engaged in heavy exercise. I've both exercised heavily in my life and also have spent many many hours lying in bed in an unwell state, and actually think for me, I burn more energy simply existing as a sick person, than I do, feeling ok, engaged in heavy exercise.

The only thing I'd like to add is that in addition to a CFS person not being able to produce enough energy for their basic functioning making them feel tired, at least from my experience, is that simply feeling unwell in whatever way that might be, even say being in pain, also consumes alot of energy.
Sadly, I know the feeling. My video certainly isn't an attempt to comprehensively explain ME/CFS. My understanding is that the feeling of exhaustion when a person is ill results from 1) resources being diverted from ordinary activities to fighting the illness and 2) signals from the nervous system that create feelings of pain and exhaustion. In any case, for me the feeling of exhaustion when sick is different from the feeling of energy-use when exercising.

Yea. The tired feeling after exercise can be a wonderful feeling. It can give a great sense of whole body peace - much different then fatigue derived from sickness, which does nothing other than drain you. I used to have a physiology teacher who from time to time would wear a t-shirt that read, "Though I may look like I'm doing nothing, on a cellular level, I am actually quite busy". And when you are not feeling well, those cellular gears have to grind even harder, depleting you, even if you are just lying in bed, staring up at the ceiling.

NelliePledge

Thanks for these 2 videos. I found them clear and the fire analogy works really well. I've posted links on another forum where people struggle even more than I do with the science but really need to hear this information that biology is the key. :thumbsup:

Thanks for these 2 videos. I found them clear and the fire analogy works really well. I've posted links on another forum where people struggle even more than I do with the science but really need to hear this information that biology is the key. :thumbsup:
Awesome! That's great to hear.