• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Very unsettled with constant brain firing

I am on Rivotril (Klonopin) and Lamictal which is another anti epileptic, but brain still fires (overstimulation, mental bombardment) all day and night. Anyone with similar experience? Dcotor's clinic is closed until the following week. Is this a symptom of neuropathy which is why I have severely slow stomach emptying? Have just started Freddd's protocol.

Valentijn

I am on Rivotril (Klonopin) and Lamictal which is another anti epileptic, but brain still fires (overstimulation, mental bombardment) all day and night. Anyone with similar experience? Dcotor's clinic is closed until the following week. Is this a symptom of neuropathy which is why I have severely slow stomach emptying? Have just started Freddd's protocol.

Rivotril acts by enhancing the neurotransmitter GABA, which acts by opposing the neurotransmitter glutamate. Lamictal inhibits the release of glutamate.

One possibility in that glutamate and GABA levels aren't your problem.

Another option is that reducing glutamate might be more effective the opposing and inhibiting it. In the case of ME/CFS, a cysteine deficiency is a likely cause of high glutamate levels, and both might be remedied by supplementing N-acetylcysteine. That's what I tried, and my over-stimulation and resulting sleeping problems are gone now.