Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Vertical ridges on fingernails

Discussion in 'Skeleton, Skin, Muscles, Hair, Teeth, and Nails' started by SickOfSickness, Jan 12, 2015.

1. AliB23

AliB23

Dr. Eric Berg (on YouTube) has a video about how different deficiencies affect hair and nails. He mentions that horizontal ridges across the nails are linked to Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) deficiency, and that can be linked to the consumption of highly processed grain and flour products that are not only lacking many nutrients, but that also force the body to have to utilise a great amount in order to be processed through the digestive system. Beri-beri was first discovered in groups that ate mainly white polished rice that was also missing the germ - the most nutritious part. These are foods that rob far more out of the body than they give.

I can testify to that as the very deep horizontal furrows in my thumb nails went away after I dumped gluten grains and most carbs and added in some decent supplements including B complex and extra Thiamin.

I am still trying to rectify the vertical ridges. They can apparently be linked to thyroid issues, but I suspect they are more likely to be linked to the deficiencies that trigger thyroid issues. Not caused by the Thyroid issues but a part of the same issue. Some have mentioned that taking Synthroid etc. has not stopped the ridges, but that may be because the Synthroid addresses the Thyroid symptoms but not necessarily the cause.

pattismith and Thinktank like this.
  2. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I wanted to post an update that I finally saw my dermatologist this week for another issue and while there, she was able to look at my toenails. She is a brilliant doctor and extremely knowledgeable re: MCAS and things the average doctor doesn't know about. She said that the issue with my toenails was absolutely nothing to worry about and was a type of "banding" that can occur due to many different causes (autoimmune, malnutrition, etc) and that a toenail grows out very slowly (years vs. months like fingernails).

She was not surprised that it started on both my fingernails and toenails over a year ago during the period that I was experiencing malnutrition and in the hospital for MCAS/anaphylaxis. She was also not surprised that my fingernails are completely back to normal but my toenails still have the horizontal red line. In any case, she said it will eventually grow out and disappear and is nothing to worry about (and is not related to a hidden cancer or cardiac issues, etc).

I was really relieved and can put this issue to rest now!

Mel9, Jammy88 and Jennifer J like this.
  3. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

Thanks for this update, ginger! Its nice to have a little reassurance from a doc once and a while

Gingergrrl likes this.
  4. Sundancer

Sundancer Senior Member

Holland
    I stumbled on this website
    https://health-boundaries.com/fingernails-2/

really stumbled, think it came along on twitter.

Now, these are my nails, for many years now, and since I became bedbound it has become much worse, thicker ridges, knobbly too.
    No half-moons on the fingers and left thumb.

3 months ago I started adding more B12 to my daily regimen. Now I see that the ridges have lessened considerably, there are no knobbles on the ridges anymore and on the left thumb a small moon is beginning to appear.

so, I'm happy, things are working

Mary, Gingergrrl, Mel9 and 3 others like this.
  5. jesse's mom

jesse's mom Senior Member

Alabama USA
    interesting thread, I have a vertical split in my ring finger, and a "funny looking third toe nail"
    I will finally try increasing my b12 after reading this thread.
    by the way, I am losing my fingerprints...

Mary, Sundancer and Gingergrrl like this.
  6. Sundancer

Sundancer Senior Member

Holland
    month later, the nails of my index-fingers are almost ridge-less, If I would put nail-varnish on them ( which I never do) they would look normal. The right index-finger now has a small but definite moon.

something is happening

@jesse's mom , you have problems increasing the dose of B12? ( I do have that)

Sushi likes this.
  7. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Those ridges look like the ones I have too, yet I inject B12 every other day. :(

8. Sundancer

Sundancer Senior Member

Holland
    sorry for you, maybe injecting every day? or trying another form of B12, or adding folate?

just ideas mind you, I am totally perplexed about this, did nt expect it, still a long way to go but there is definite development and not just in my nails.

9. IThinkImTurningJapanese

IThinkImTurningJapanese Moderator

Japan
    Can You Lose Your Fingerprints?

jesse's mom and Mel9 like this.
  10. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    So am I. Dr. Cheney said that about 50% of his patients had lost or partially lost their fingerprints. He brought in a professional fingerprinter and he was unable to fingerprint many patients.
    I've tried other forms of B12 and tolerate hydrox the best--also take daily bio-available folate.

jesse's mom and Mel9 like this.
  11. jesse's mom

Alabama USA
    hmmm my feet are peeling as well. I have not had chemo.
    Just clueless Drs and fibro and CFS.
    and so much pain and fatigue...
    i am so glad you are all here to help me unravel what is going on with my body and give me clues to help.
    Thank you all on PR.

Mary and IThinkImTurningJapanese like this.
  12. jesse's mom

Alabama USA
    Yes, it upsets my stomach and sometimes makes me shake more... I shake enough that it is embarrassing and really, I don't like to have my hands shaking, its unnerving.

I never really was grateful enough that my hands were steady as a rock before this illness.

It makes me feel really old.

13. Wolfcub

Wolfcub Senior Member

SW UK
    I have these horizontal ridges too. (Beau's lines) They are pronounced but only on my left thumbnail. They started at the end of March when I first became unwell, and they were really deep, like gashes across the nail. I have been able to track this illness by observing them.
    It takes me about 3 months to grow out a fingernail.
    So there are many at the top end which I have cut off now -and glad to see the back of them because I know they mean I am not well. My mother told me that, way back and she's right.

Then there was a kind of "remission" when I was no so bad...and sure enough there are still some very faint ridges showing up every week or so, but they are so faint. That's when I was feeling generally that I might be getting better. Then about 3 weeks ago they started up again and the last one coming up the nail is a real deep one timed at about 2 weeks ago.
    That's when I was doing the high dose vitamin B complex and the Echinacea and garlic trial. (stopped that after a few days)
    They give me the creeps to be honest. I want them to stop appearing.

But only in the one nail and none of the others. And not on toes.

14. rel8ted

rel8ted Senior Member

VA
    Mine went away, too after I dumped all grains after my Celiac diagnosis. My gut was such a wreck that I could no longer tolerate any of them. My nail ridges went away, I have the best looking skin I have ever had & I can actually enjoy eating instead of dreading the torture that every meal used to be.

jesse's mom likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.