• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Venus Williams diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
This will be an interesting story to watch as many times CFS and Sjogrens go together. Quote from doc at bottom of article says "syndrome is similar to the Epstein Barr virus", I've never heard it put that way before.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...y-force-wimbledon-star-venus-out-of-tennis.do

The 31-year-old pulled out of the US Open after announcing that she has Sjogren's Syndrome, an auto-immune disease which causes chronic fatigue and joint and muscle pain.

She said: "I am thankful I finally have a diagnosis and am now focused on getting better and returning to the court soon."

The disease is predominantly suffered by women and though the symptoms, which also include fatigue, dry mouth and dry eyes, can be treated, there is no cure.

Medical experts warned she may have to retire, potentially ending a decade during which she and her younger sister Serena have dominated the women's game.

Raised in one of the toughest areas of Los Angeles, the pair were driven to success by their father Richard. The family was hit by tragedy in 2003 when the tennis stars' oldest sister Yetunde was shot dead near the courts where the sisters first practised.

Williams, who says she hopes to return to the court "soon" and has talked about looking forward to the London Olympics, did not play between Wimbledon and the US Open because of her health and will now drop out of the world's top 100.

Dr Joanne F Shen, an American ophthalmologist at the Mayo Clinic in Arizona who treats the illness, warned: "Patients with Sjogren's Syndrome can experience joint and muscle pain and I think it just gets to the point where you feel like you're injured all the time.

"I think for an elite athlete it would be very difficult and for a tennis player, it would be hard to play a lot.

"For her, I think backing off would be helpful. I don't think she has much choice."

Dr Shen said the syndrome was similar to the Epstein Barr virus, a disease that cost former Liverpool and Germany defender Markus Babbel a year of his career.

Serena Williams returned to tennis in June after a year out after suffering from a blood clot on her lung.

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
""""
Dr Shen said the syndrome was similar to the Epstein Barr virus, a disease that cost former Liverpool and Germany defender Markus Babbel a year of his career.

"""

EBV is a disease - CFS is nothing but a group of symptoms. It will be so much better when that term is finally dropped.

Ian

she probably has a mercury amalgam. Metals implanted in the mouth or other parts of the body are basically what cause most auto immune diseases. It's like women that can't wear jewellery containing nickel, put that metal in their mouths and you are in for a disaster.