• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vanilloid Receptors & gut

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Hi all does anyone know anything about Vanilloid Receptors and their role in ME?

I ask because I took a large dose (1/2 teaspoon) of vanilla recently (for cognitive benefits) and it has completely destroyed my gut health. Not only that but the effects seem to be (semi-?) permanent. It's been over a month now and my symptoms show no sign of abating. I have horrible dysbiosis, and my stool composition has completely changed. Even soil based probiotics don't seem to touch my stools any more. My gut is painful. It permenently feels like I've just eaten something hot - which is presumably the vanilloid receptors being activated. My gut just feels off, which has knock on effects on everything else, including my attention and ability to stay in the present moment (both pretty close to zero).

Anyone have any ideas as to why my vanilloid receptors are on permanent activation, and how I can dial them back down? Many thanks.

alex3619

Vanilloid receptors tie into the NO/ONOO model if I recall correctly. Marty Pall wrote about this. Its part of his theory about what causes ME/CFS. Its not clear what to do to reverse it though. Its also been a long time since I read up on this and I have forgotten much of it.