• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vancouver: Women with ME/CFS sought for study looking at effects of exercise challenges

Dolphin

[Note from Dolphin: As usual, I don't accept any responsibility regarding people's participation in this study]

From The Chronic Complex Diseases Study FB page
http://on.fb.me/1MLsTqY
i.e. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=831252573589205&id=468387359875730&pnref=story

We are looking for women who have been diagnosed with ME/CFS for a research study. This is a two-day exercise study and will take approximately 7 hours of your time

• You must meet the Canadian Consensus Criteria and Fukuda definition for ME/CFS, to be confirmed with your physician
• You must understand English
• You do not have any other complex medical condition
• You are over 19 years of age

Your participation is voluntary. If you are eligible and agree to take part it will involve 1 visit to Vancouver General Hospital, 2 visits to BC Children’s Hospital and 2 home visits. Blood work will be taken and you will be asked to complete questionnaires about your medical history and quality of life. The questionnaires are done at home.

There will be some compensation if you are enrolled in this study and you will be reimbursed for parking or bus fare from within the lower mainland.

If you are interested or would like more information, please contact the clinical research coordinator at sparker@cheos.ubc.ca

This study is being conducted by Dr. David Patrick and has been approved by the Office of Research Ethics at the University of British Columbia

Bob

Their university campus looks nice! (University of British Columbia at Vancouver.)

UBC-vancouver.jpg

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Their university campus looks nice! (University of British Columbia at Vancouver.)

It is.
And there is a large 'park' which is actually a small forest attached to the campus. Pacific Spirit Park.
If you ever watch any tv programmes filmed in Vancouver this location almost inevitably shows up.

panckage

Any reason why they are only seeking women for this particular study?
What's funny is while they probably have good reason for limiting the research focus, they won't publicly state the reason. On the facebook page they will only email individuals about it. Now I don't care enough to email them about it, but if someone gets that email I would be happy to read it here :)

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
What's funny is while they probably have good reason for limiting the research focus, they won't publicly state the reason. On the facebook page they will only email individuals about it. Now I don't care enough to email them about it, but if someone gets that email I would be happy to read it here :)

@Kati already answered the question. Gene expression pathways can be subtly different between men and women and this is just a way of trying to get cleaner data. I'd do it too if I had a limited budget and sample size.

Dolphin

I do find it frustrating how many ME/CFS studies don't include men. But can understand it with small studies.