• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Valtrex hair loss

ltpitt

Lucy
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with hair loss caused by valtrex (an antiviral used to treat herpes family virus)? I have been taking valtrex for the past month or so as I have problems with CMV and my doc thought it might help, however, my hair has thinned dramatically since I stared taking it. I've had the other relevant tests done, i.e. iron levels, b12, thyroid, hormones, etc... but they are all fine so I think its the valtrex.

There are a few posts on here about people trying valtrex for the CFS and even a few people complaining of hair loss but I haven't been able to find anything on whether the hair will grow back after stopping valtrex?

I know it probably seems like a shallow thing to worry about considering I'm pretty much bed-ridden and have had CFS for 10+ years but Im pretty upset about being a balding 27 year old female and am just hoping someone has some knowledge on the issue?

Thank you.