• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Valcyte - what to expect ?

StarChild56

Wondering if anyone has tried the generic Valcyte or knows if it's as effective as the brand name.

I just got talked with my pharmacist and all he was able to tell me was that the price is about 1/5 the cost of the brand name, three companies are producing the generic and there's a back order and supply problems with all three companies.

Any experiences?

Yes, I am on generic Valcyte and have been for 5 months. Prior to that I was on Valtrex and even though on Valtrex, developed EBV viremia which was quite concerning (we even tried to add Famvir in to help it until I got my prescription coverage - I was without it for a couple months but it did nothing for this issue). My doctor switched me to generic Valcyte and after a while (I do not remember how long), I finally do not have EBV viremia. I have had no side effects. It costs me $37.50 for a 90 day supply (my co pay). I take 2 450mg caps 2x a day (1800 mg total a day). I have my safety labs monthly (first time, it was 3 weeks). Only my monocytes (sp) are abnormal (low) but my doctor says that is okay. I have also gotten my stubborn VZV IGM to go down a good amount (it was really hight), and my VZV IgG to go waay down (it was really high).

I think my low grade fevers decreasing (and being lower grade), the reduction in chills, the slight reduction in overall horrific malaise is due to the Valcyte though I can not be sure (I'm on a lot of meds for a lot of things most started at the same time, many of my illnesses have overlapping sx).

Dan_USAAZ

Wondering if anyone has tried the generic Valcyte or knows if it's as effective as the brand name.

I just got talked with my pharmacist and all he was able to tell me was that the price is about 1/5 the cost of the brand name, three companies are producing the generic and there's a back order and supply problems with all three companies.

Any experiences?
I have been on generic Valcyte for a few years, ever since the patent expired and the generics became available. I was on brand name Valcyte for a couple years prior to that.

I had the same concerns about effectiveness of the generic as you express. In my opinion, there is no difference. Same benefits in the way I feel and more importantly, the objective results in my HHV6 titer test results. Without the clear evidence that my blood test results have shown over and over again, my doctors (2) would not prescribe Valcyte.
As for price, last time I checked, the generic looked like it was about half the cost of brand. I have decent insurance, so pay little.