• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vaccinating Adults for Whooping Cough

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Pertussis (Whooping Cough)
Why vaccinate adults against whooping cough?

• Adults are the most common source of pertussis infection in infants.
  • Infants are at the greatest risk of serious complications, including death, from pertussis. In 2010 alone, 25 US infants died from pertussis.
  • CDC estimates that there are between one and three million pertussis cases in the US annually.
  • In adults, whooping cough can cause coughing spells that can affect breathing, eating, and sleeping. It can lead to cracked ribs and hospitalization.
  • Pregnant women especially need to be immunized. They should get the vaccine late in the second trimester or in the third trimester.
Which adults need whooping couch vaccine?
  • All adults age 19 to 64 years need a one-time whooping cough booster vaccine.
  • Adults age 65 and older need a one-time whooping cough booster if they will have close contact with infants younger than 12 months.
  • If not already vaccinated, pregnant women should receive the booster vaccine late in the second trimester or during the third trimester.
  • The whooping cough booster is a combination vaccine with tetanus and diphtheria. The vaccine is called Tdap.
  • Once an adult gets the Tdap vaccine, he or she should get the Td (tetanus and diphtheria) booster every 10 years from then on.
Did you know...
Rates of whooping cough have been increasing in adolescents and adults? Adults and adolescents can give the infection to infants, who are at a greatly increased risk of serious complications including death.
What happens when an adult gets whooping cough?

• In adults, whooping cough usually starts like a common cold but then the coughing gets worse and can last for weeks or even months.
  • Whooping cough spells can leave adults gasping for breath and unable to sleep, and can cause cracked ribs and hospitalization.
  • A major concern is that infected adults can infect infants who have a high risk of death from whooping cough (25 US babies younger than one died from whooping cough in 2010).
Why is the whooping cough vaccine important?
  • Vaccination can protect you from an illness that can cause serious discomfort and lost work time.
  • Pertussis vaccination can help keep you from making others, including infants, sick.

FAQ: I thought whooping cough was wiped out in this country?
Actually, high vaccination rates help keep diseases under control, but may not eliminate them. The immunity we get from whooping cough vaccines wears off over time, which is why we can get it again as adults. Whooping cough in adults may not be diagnosed because it may start very mild followed by a bad cough that people may think is just a “leftover” symptom from a cold. But adults can still pass the infection to others, even when it’s mild in them, so widespread vaccination is the best way to protect yourself and others.- See more at:
http://www.adultvaccination.com/who...n_adult_immunization.htm#sthash.0Fc0RG5k.dpuf

http://www.adultvaccination.com/whooping_cough_vaccine_pertussis_vaccination_adult_immunization.htm

mermaid

I had a bad ME relapse from getting whooping cough in 2010. It wasn't even recognised or diagnosed by the Dr, but a friend suggested it to me, and having researched it on the net, I realised that is what I had.

Before I had it, I was able to work and was mildly affected. I haven't been able to get back to the point I was at since then, though I am still working on it.

catly

I recieved a Tdap vaccine in 2/2013 when I was still fully functional with only very mild symptoms. I began to spiral downward after it and still haven't bounced back to where I was pre vaccination. I just wanted a tetnus shot since I work with horses a lot and they told me you can't get just the tetnus part.

*GG*

I recieved a Tdap vaccine in 2/2013 when I was still fully functional with only very mild symptoms. I began to spiral downward after it and still haven't bounced back to where I was pre vaccination. I just wanted a tetnus shot since I work with horses a lot and they told me you can't get just the tetnus part.

I was due for a Tetanus shot 6 years ago! I cannot get/find it without thimerosal, asked a few times. Oh well, that TMJ seems to be holding its' own. LOL

I used to get the flu shot before becoming ill, I don't bother with that anymore either!

GG

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I am also overdue for a tetanus booster. I had the whooping cough and diptheria with the last one.

When I asked my doctor for the tetanus, she said she did not do it. A nearby pharmacy said that they had it and gave me a multi-page form to fill out that asked for way too much personal information. The plan is the check with the Health Department next. I got a flu shot there once and do not recall much paperwork.