• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Using Nutrigenomics Optimize Health "DETECTING NEUROPROVOKING FOODS" by Dr. Amy Yasko

Does diet effect your Fibromialgia pain ?

• Yes I an using Nutrigenomics and avoiding NEURO-PROVOKING FOODS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Hi all, I thought you'd be interested in this (summoned up the courage for a first post) ;

Nearly 8 weeks ago I started the Wahls Paleo diet protocol.

(8 cups of veggies (3 plate full's) per day (3 cups of sulphur rich vegetables per day Collards /Brescia's - organic Green and Red cabbage, organic Broccoli, Red Kale, Green Kale, Yellow Kale, White Kale, Turnip greens, Spinach, Parsley, organic silver-beet, Cauliflower, garlic , leeks, chives) + 3 cups coloured vegetables per day, red cabbage, beets, organic carrots, and for some the traffic light of organic peppers (I am capsicum intolerant to the whole family), peaches, oranges, bananas and berries + 1 cup of fruit berries, bananas, apples, pears, oranges, mandarins, lemon, lime, PLUS wild fish, grass fed red meat, + organ meat once per week. Seaweed for Iodine and free organic chicken not fed on starches or corn).

My Fibromyalgia pain has been cut in half over the last 8 weeks. Its the elimination of starches, ie potatoes, cereals and pasta, baked goods, rice potato chips and corn.

Dr Wahls's address is available on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/?watch?v=KLj...ults_main&playnext=1&list=PL7B?44EFE29D560533

Her story is amazing. Her recovery is profound. Advance secondary progressive Multiple Sclerosis is almost a death sentence.

Dr. Amy Yasko's - Using Nutrigenomics To Optimize Health and particularly her PDF article "DETECTING NEURO-PROVOKING FOODS" at her website helped me understand why the Wahls protocol is doubly important as a quick contrast of the article "DETECTING NEURO-PROVOKING FOODS", Foods That Damage the Nerves with the Wahls/ Paleo Diet protocol and I can't find one Foods That Damage the Nerves that is included in the Wahls Paleo Protocol;

Cool hey.

Scroll down to a copy of Dr. Amy Yasko's, PDF article "DETECTING NEURO-PROVOKING FOODS".

Cheers
Alistair Mills

An Inspiring story
Dr. Amy Yasko - http://www.dramyyasko.com/

Using Nutrigenomics To Optimize Health

Methylation and Mutation Part 1 A

http://vimeo.com/35060471

Methylation Part 1 B

http://vimeo.com/35197447

Methylation Part 2A

http://vimeo.com/35643136

Methylation Part 2B

http://vimeo.com/35668320

Methylation Part 1 C

http://vimeo.com/35434747

Dopamine Part 1

http://vimeo.com/38186392

Dopamine Part 2

http://vimeo.com/38403952

DETECTING NEURO-PROVOKING FOODS
Mood, energy levels, mental stability, resilience, speech, motor-skills, sleep, and hormonal function are just a few of the many functional areas closely tied to neurotransmitter balance.
Neurotransmitters are brain chemicals that communicate information throughout the brain and body. They also signal the two halves of our autonomic nervous systemthe sympathetic and parasympathetic systems, each of which helps perform a wide range of bodily functions.

There are two kinds of neurotransmitters, which act in a dynamic balance something like a seesaw.
Excitatory neurotransmitters stimulate.
Inhibitory neurotransmitters calm the brain, nerves, and mood
Imbalances occur when one side or the other becomes overactive. The goal is to keep them in balance.
For children with autism the seesaw were concerned about is the one between glutamate, an excitatory neurotransmitter, and GABA, a calming neurotransmitter essential for speech.
Too much glutamate causes excitation leading to stimulatory behavior, called stims, and excess nerve firing and nerve damage. Not enough GABA and calming neurotransmission leads to lack of speech.
When the glutamate/GABA seesaws tips too far over to glutamate, reducing glutamate intake helps to restore balance and correct the health symptoms. While we all need low levels of glutamate, avoiding excessive intake will help stop the inflammatory process that glutamate and
other excitotoxins trigger.
Toxic Food Ingredients
To keep glutamate levels balanced, its best to avoid all foods (and nutritional supplements) that contain (or prompt the body to create) glutamate, glutamic acid, aspartate, and/or aspartic acid and cysteine. Once you begin to read labels, youll be surprised how widespread these ingredients are-- even in foods your children currently eat!
Heres what to look for.

Foods to Avoid

Sources of MSG

Hydrolyzed protein or hydrolyzed oat flour
Sodium caseinate or calcium caseinate
Autolyzed yeast or yeast extract
Gelatin
Glutamic acid
Monosodium glutamate
Excitotoxic Food Ingredients
Ajinomoto
Autolyzed anything
Autolyzed yeast
Autolyzed yeast extract
Bouillon
Broth
Calcium caseinate
Carrageenan (or vegetable gum)
Caseinate
Chicken/pork/beef base
Chicken/pork/beef flavoring
Disodium caseinate
Disodium guanylate
Disodium inosinate
Dough conditioner(s)
Gelatin
Glutamate
Guar gum
Hydrolyzed anything
Hydrolyzed oat flour
Hydrolyzed plant protein
Hydrolyzed protein
Hydrolyzed vegetable protein
Kombu extract
Malt extract
Malt flavoring(s)
Malted anything
Malted barely flour
Malted barley/barley malt
Maltodextrin
Meat flavorings (chicken, beef etc.)
Monosodium glutamate
Natural flavor(s)
Natural flavoring(s)
Nutrasweet/aspartame
Plant protein extract 1-cysteine
Seasoned salt
Seasoning(s) or spices
Smoke flavoring(s)
Sodium caseinate
Soup base
Soy extract
Soy protein
Soy protein concentrate
Soy protein isolate
Soy sauce
Spice mixes that contain glutamate or MSG as an ingredient
Stock
Textured protein
Vegetable gum
Whey protein
Whey protein concentrate
Whey protein isolate
Yeast extract

Food Products That Commonly Contain Excitoxins and Other Harmful Ingredients
Clearly, you cant always avoid everything on these lists. But you can regard these foods and
ingredients with suspicion, as they have been known to cause problems. Even if you do not
eliminate them entirely, you can pay special attention after your child has eaten a potentially
troublesome food and look for and note an immediate negative reaction (within the next twentyfour
hours.) On the other hand, there can also be a long term cumulative effect, so dont think
that in the absence of an immediate problem, your child can tolerate that food.
It may not always be possible to avoid every single item on these lists, but you can and should
monitor your childs intake of foods that damage the nerves.

Foods That Damage the Nerves

Anything enzyme modified
Anything fermented
Anything protein fortified
Anything ultra-pasteurized
Anything vitamin enriched
Anything with corn syrup added
Anything with milk solids
Baked goods from bakeries
Barbeque sauce
Certain brands of cold cuts/hot dogs
Body builder protein mixes
Bottled spaghetti sauce
Boullion (any kind)
Canned and smoked tuna, oysters, clams
Canned soups (certain brands)
Canned refried beans
Canned, frozen, or dry entrees and potpies
Caramel flavoring/coloring
Catsup
Cereals
Chili sauce
Chocolates/Candy bars
Citric acid (when processed from corn)
Cornstarch
Corn chips (certain brands)
Dough conditioners
Dry milk or whey powder
Egg substitutes
Flavored chips (certain brands)
Flavored teas, sodas
Flour
Flowing agents
Fresh and frozen pizza
Fresh produce sprayed with Auxigroinstead choose organically grown produce
Fried chicken from fast food sources
Frostings and fillings
Gelatin
Gravy Master
Instant soup mixes/Stocks
Kombu extract
L-cysteine
Low-fat/Diet foods
Many salad dressings/Croutons
Mayonnaise
Molasses
Most salty, powdered dry food mixes
Mustards
Non-dairy creamers
Parmesan cheese
Pectin
Pickles
Salted peanuts (certain brands)
Powdered soup and sauce mixes (certain brands)
Processed cheese spread
Ramen noodles
Restaurant gravy from food service cans
Restaurant soups made from food service Soup base
Sausages/Processed meats/Cold cuts
Seasoned anything
Skim, 1%, 2%, non-fat, or dry milk
Some bagged salads and vegetables
Some peanut butters
Some spices
Soy sauce
Supermarket turkey & chicken (injected)
Table salts
Tofu and other fermented soy products
Tomato sauce/Stewed tomatoes
Whipped cream topping substitutes
Worcestershire sauce
Xanthan gum/other gums

Conclusion

The bottom line is that once glutamate reaches a certain level, neurological damage has
already occurred. To avoid getting to that point, the goal is to limit the amount of
glutamate that comes into the body every day. As you learn the sources of glutamate and
aspartate, you can make informed choices about limiting intake to keep excitotoxins to a
minimum; you will never avoid them completely.
Transitioning to proper nutrition and getting glutamate under control are foundational to
this Yasko Protocol, even though its often a challenge. Please seek out the techniques
and approaches that work for your child and family, and remember that this is a
marathon, not a sprint.

voner

alistair:

thanks for the post. Please keep us updated on your longer term progress & what symptoms are reduced, and which aren't etc...

I think everyone should be aware that Dr. Wahls protocol also included some very intensive neuromuscular electrical stimulation.

A description of Dr. Wahls protocol she actually used can be found here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769364/

in my opinion, Dr. Wahls Ted Videos is slightly misleading, in that she does not emphasize the intensive neuromuscular electric stimulation.

In any event, Dr. Wahls recovery is quite amazing.

helen1

I used to eat very similarly to Dr wahls diet until testing showed I had the CBS mutation that leads to high ammonia and sulfur groups. (Also had high phosphorus and urea, which is related but can't remember how.) Apparently methylation is unlikely to be successful until sulfur levels come down (Yasko). This might be one reason I've done badly with methylation attempts so am now eating low sulfur foods before my next attempt.

Quite a few of us here have the CBS variation so masses of high sulfur foods are probably not healthy for everyone.
High folate foods also cause problems for a lot of us trying methylation protocols so that's another thing to beware of when considering boatloads of veggies.