• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Use of SNPs to distinguish gene expression subtypes of CFS/ME

caledonia

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
The link you give comes up blank for me.

I am puzzled by the title. SNPs are variations in genes in the DNA. A 'gene expression subtype' would seem to be a variation in the use (expression) of whatever genes are there. The two are quite different. The variations in genes present might influence the use of the genes through some failure of feedback maybe but I do not understand how you would use the gene variation to study the use variation. Does anyone know what this is about?

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
I found the abstract but so far not the paper. As far as I can see this is not about gene expression at all, just about DNA polymorphism.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
I have access to the paper through UCL. At one point it says: [of 21] 7 of these SNPs were within the BMP2K gene and 2 were within the IL6ST gene. I am not sure where bone morphogenetic protein 2 kinase would come in. IL-6ST is a component of cytokine receptors of the IL-6 family, which could certainly be relevant, I guess.