• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

US TV show "The Middle" episode features a PWCFS

waiting

April 27/16 episode of "The Middle" featured a character with "chronic fatigue syndrome" and it was actually taken seriously as a debilitating disease!

Ok, there was some stereotypical mockery when it was suspected that the PWCFS was faking it -- BUT that was because she was mistaken for her identical twin who was seen playing volleyball -- it IS a comedy series, after all.

Last edited:

Dolphin

April 27/16 episode of "The Middle" featured a character with "chronic fatigue syndrome" and it was actually taken seriously as a debilitating disease!

Ok, there was some stereotypical mockery when it was suspected that the PWCFS was faking it -- BUT that was because she was mistaken for her identical twin who was seen playing volleyball -- it IS a comedy series, after all.
Looks like this is season 7, episode 21
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Middle_episodes

*GG*

Damn, of course I stepped out for an hour and missed it, thought we were into repeat season! Will be shown on Hulu or something?

GG

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates

OK I've just done my bit for the cause and watched it. I found it very sympathetic about CFS - it was presented as a disease to be taken seriously and sympathised with as a matter of course, and when the girl with CFS was mistakenly mocked, that was presented as a terrible thing to do.

Funniest line - "Can I write you a check for your sadness?" Made me laugh anyway, probably had to be seen in context.

Valentijn

It's a pretty good show in general. Fox shows reruns here in the Netherlands on a daily basis, though they aren't very good at showing them in a sensible order or showing the recent episodes. But a light-hearted and funny sit-com, without being crude or cruel.