• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Urine toxic metals collection question.... which one should I use.. Rich??

learner2life

David Pain
I am hoping Rich could give some advice on which collection method I should use for the toxic element test.

Here's a brief description of the three.

- Timed Urine Collection.. (less than 24 hours).
Basically take urine samples within a specified time period. Keep samples in large container in the fridge allowing to mix and fill specimen tube.

- Random Collection
This is a single urine collection during a specified time.

-24 hour urine collection.
Skip the first urine in the morning and collect all urine during the day and first urine of the next day. Record volume in urine collection container, mix and fill urine specimen tube.

I was going to call DD and ask them but I didn't think they would know since the instructions said consult a physician per testing recommendations.
I am basically going cold turkey on the majority of my vitamins and relying on food to get what i need per instructions for the Metabolic Analysis Profile from Genova. I am eating red meats and lots of dairy to keep my b12 in hopes of sustaining my b12 levels. Four days without supplementation seems like a stretch for me honestly. Would hydroxycobalamin schew any test results if taken at 2000 mcg/day? I guess I can just try to eat more foods with b12. Also the plasma amino acid test requires a fasting period of 8-12 hours. I am planning on getting the methylation test viles filled at the same time. That shouldn't pose any problems right? Just want to make sure I get an accurate reading as possible. Thank You Rich, I appreciate it.
David

learner2life

David Pain
I notice the metabolic test says to omit malic acid supplements, as well as
citrate, malate, or orotate forms of minerals two days before the test. Fruit smoothies should be fine right? I don't want to goof this up.. Thanks.

richvank

I am hoping Rich could give some advice on which collection method I should use for the toxic element test.

Here's a brief description of the three.

- Timed Urine Collection.. (less than 24 hours).
Basically take urine samples within a specified time period. Keep samples in large container in the fridge allowing to mix and fill specimen tube.

- Random Collection
This is a single urine collection during a specified time.

-24 hour urine collection.
Skip the first urine in the morning and collect all urine during the day and first urine of the next day. Record volume in urine collection container, mix and fill urine specimen tube.

I was going to call DD and ask them but I didn't think they would know since the instructions said consult a physician per testing recommendations.
I am basically going cold turkey on the majority of my vitamins and relying on food to get what i need per instructions for the Metabolic Analysis Profile from Genova. I am eating red meats and lots of dairy to keep my b12 in hopes of sustaining my b12 levels. Four days without supplementation seems like a stretch for me honestly. Would hydroxycobalamin schew any test results if taken at 2000 mcg/day? I guess I can just try to eat more foods with b12. Also the plasma amino acid test requires a fasting period of 8-12 hours. I am planning on getting the methylation test viles filled at the same time. That shouldn't pose any problems right? Just want to make sure I get an accurate reading as possible. Thank You Rich, I appreciate it.
David

Hi, David.

I favor the 24-hour urine collection, because it gives the additional information of 24-hour creatinine excretion and 24-hour total urine volume, and it's helpful to know these parameters. I also favor doing the combined urine toxic and essential elements.
If you have a partial methylation cycle block, it is corrected relatively slowly, and taking the B12 won't make a big change in it in a short time. It is a good idea to fast for the time suggested for the plasma amino acids, because their levels can be affected by meals containing protein. Yes, it's fine to do the methylation pathways panel sample collection at the same time as the plasma amino acids sample collection. In fact, that will assure that the two tests are referring to the same status of the body. Fruit smoothies should be fine. I don't have much experience with fecal metals testing. Prof. Haley may be right about this. I note that Dr. Yasko is now including fecal metals testing in her comprehensive biochemical testing package.

Best regards,

Rich

maddietod

Learner - I did the 24 hour urine toxin test, and then found out that I should have ordered the Urine Toxic & Essential Elements test. This one requires a week off fish/shellfish, so it's sitting beside my desk until Sunday.

learner2life

David Pain
Thank you for the responses. I didn't realize that there was a toxic urine test and simply didn't write out the full name in the heading. Sorry for the confusion. I looked at the fecal metal tests from direct labs and Dr. Amy Yasko's site and they are roughly the same price as the toxic and essential elements test. So, we are free to choose without having to pay additional if we did want the fecal test. I am going to go ahead with what I have since it is here and I have stopped taking all my vitamins at the moment. Thank You for the help.
David