• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Updated NIH reponse to CFSAC recommendations

Bob

What is a typical level of funding - it says they shouldn't exceed 100 000 for most of them.
These are top-up grants, for extending existing studies, and they're not intended to fund full studies. A $100,000 extension to an existing study could go a long way.

Last edited:

BurnA

These are top-up grants, for extending existing studies, and they're not intended to fund full studies. A $100,000 extension to an existing study could go a long way.
Yes I realise they are top up. I don't want to sound negative I just have no idea what research can be done with 100k. Even if it's top up it still needs to fund the ME/CFS portion of the study as that won't be included in original study.

It certainly bodes well that the NIH have put this out there.

Last edited:

Bob

Yes I realise they are top up. I don't want to sound negative I just have no idea what research can be done with 100k. Even if it's top up it still needs to fund the ME/CFS portion of the study as that won't be included in original study.
It can fund extensions to existing ME/CFS studies. If the blood or data is already collected then $100k can fund quite a bit of data analysis, or further blood tests. Yes, millions would be better, but normal funding channels are still available for big studies.

duncan

Although I, too, am encouraged by the wording, I would not go as far as interpreting it as shutting down BPS research.

Besides, it seems a couple of them may have already flagged an Uber on the current NIH CFS study.

Uber research - hopefully it will get you to where you want to go, even if you aren't certain who is behind the wheel.

ETA: Why are they listing Joseph Breen as one of the contacts? Isn't he the Program Officer for the Lyme Disease Research Program?

Last edited:

BurnA

It can fund extensions to existing ME/CFS studies. If the blood or data is already collected then $100k can fund quite a bit of data analysis, or further blood tests. Yes, millions would be better, but normal funding channels are still available for big studies.
My impression was these grants would extend the scope of an existing study to ME/CFS rather than expanding an existing ME/CFS study. ( The idea being to entice new researchers into ME/CFS )
In which case, if blood or data is already collected, it wouldn't be from ME/CFS patients if ME/CFS wasn't in the original scope.

Bob

My impression was these grants would extend the scope of an existing study to ME/CFS rather than expanding an existing ME/CFS study. ( The idea being to entice new researchers into ME/CFS )
My interpretation is that it allows for both. There don't seem to be any restrictions in that regard. But I may have missed something.

Justin30

Can researchers combine grant totals from all 3 or 4 Institutes?

For Christmas I would like to have them experiment with some drugs used in other diseases similar to ME (ICC/CCC Only)

searcher

Here are some clarifications from Vicky Whittemore, most of which we added to http://www.meaction.net/2016/04/07/nih-calls-for-additional-research-proposals-to-study-mecfs/

We asked about whether this program is primarily targeted at grants that were already about ME/CFS or targeted at new researchers. We also asked about the total number of grants and dollar amounts across all institutes.

Responses from the five program officers on the announcement (Joe Breen, Yolanda Vallejo-Estrada, Vicky Whittemore, Martha Matocha, and Wen Chen):

"The administrative supplements have to “supplement” an existing NIH grant, and the proposed research has to be within scope of the original grant. Each NIH Institute involved will review and rank the administrative supplements received, and then the Trans-NIH ME/CFS Working Group will review all of the applications to make a recommendation for funding. The actual number to be funded hasn’t been decided – it will depend on the number and quality of the applications we received.
Any investigator with an NIH grant can submit an administrative supplement for their grants using a standard mechanism (see: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-14-077.html ). We are using the Notice to get the word out that we would like to fund administrative supplements as a way to stimulate and support additional research in the short-term. More long-term programs will be announced once we have approval to do so."

And in response to a follow-up question to clarify the intention of the program:
"The objective is to stimulate more research! So, it can be either someone already doing ME/CFS research who has an idea they would like to expand on that is related to their funded grant, or it could be someone who is developing a new technique or technology that could be applied to the study of ME/CFS. "

Last edited: