August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Update on Karina

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Countrygirl, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    http://valerieeliotsmith.com/2016/03/07/karina-hansen-3-update-march-2016/

UPDATE – legal (for more background see previous post)

On 26 February 2016, the Danish High Court heard an appeal by Karina’s parents against the guardianship order imposed by the District Court. This order had confirmed Kaj Stendorf as Karina’s permanent legal guardian. Mr Stendorf was the chief of police (now retired) in charge of Karina’s district when she was taken from her home by police against her will (see previous post). The appeal failed and the District Court’s order was upheld.

Sean, Aurator, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  2. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    Sorry, can't like this post, but thanks for bringing this terrible news to our attention. What can be done to help this family?

Mrs Sowester, ahimsa, ahmo and 10 others like this.
  3. concepcion

concepcion Senior Member

Heartbreaking news.

Invisible Woman, leela, Mel9 and 3 others like this.
  4. NL93

NL93 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    That's just terrible.
    I think she's this bad now because she was probably being pushed over her limits over and over again. That's a great way to make severe ME even more severe
    So sad

leela, Mel9, Kati and 3 others like this.
  5. Denise

Denise Senior Member

These updates are vitally important, but they are incredibly painful for me.
    Every part of me aches for Karina and those who love her!

Invisible Woman, leela, Mel9 and 4 others like this.
  6. Asa

Asa Senior Member

Haven't read the link, but it's my understanding that a case must fail at the highest State level before it can be taken to the European Court of Human Rights. I imagine this could be the next appeal?

Invisible Woman and Mel9 like this.
  7. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

There's something rotten in the Danish High Court.
    It's heartbreaking for this family.
    It's beyond reason how this could be upheld.

8. LC2015

LC2015 Senior Member

This disgusts, horrifies and offends me to my core. What can we do, practically, to help? I searched on change.org but only could find and sign one petition which was only like ~200 signatories... Is there a bigger one somewhere?

Invisible Woman and Mrs Sowester like this.
  9. LC2015

LC2015 Senior Member

PS. It pisses me off about that website that such less deserving causes get a hundred times the coverage. Why isn't the KH situation making international headlines like the Justina Pelletier case (rightly) did?!

10. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    the doctors are doing it for her own good..."The men in white coats know what's best for her, surely?"

M.E. isn't "sexy", it doesn't sell media coverage, it's not obvious, it's not appealing.

ergo, we are easily gas lighted and "pushed into the broom closet out of sight".

Invisible Woman likes this.
  11. LC2015

LC2015 Senior Member

Uhhh... So terrible, yet so true.

12. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

I wish we could do something more visible. We can't go out and march or protest so I wonder if we could do something like the ghost bikes in London. These bikes are painted white and tied up where a cyclist has been killed - it is quite a striking image.

Perhaps we could have life sized cut outs depicting generic shapes of men, women and children, in a dark grey perhaps (as in the shadows from the film Voices from the Shadows). Then if a group wanted to protest they poll to see how many of us want to send a shadow.....

I'd love to see thousands of silent shadows stood side by side outside the Hammel Neuro Centre in support of Karina.

13. LC2015

LC2015 Senior Member

That's a really beautiful and poignant image! Or we just storm the place...... What is needed is a whistleblower to enter into this establishment as like a cleaner or something, and expose how they are treating her day-to-day.

ahmo, Valentijn and SilverbladeTE like this.

See more popular forum discussions.