• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Update on Alex3619: in hospital but doing well

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
alex3619 - Welcome back to the forums! And thanks for sharing all these good insights with us.

Yes, my memory can be really good when I am on a roll, and I can talk/chat for hours on a narrow topic. Yet like you I can sometimes not remember even basic things - its all a blank. Its very hard to show that to people though, they have to see it repeatedly I think, and most are not around long enough for that to happen.

This is a great description of the problem. My casual friends can't see most of my mental fog problem. I generally bluff my way through any fog or laugh it off. If it's a really bad day then I'm at home so they never see the bad stuff. They only see the borderline brain fog, those "medium" to "good" days when I am feeling well enough to meet them for lunch or something like that.

My husband, on the other hand, sees the problems because he's with me all the time. One of the things he sees is what I call "deer in the headlights" moments. I sometimes I stop dead in my tracks when he asks me a simple question. I can't even form a basic sentence, or even answer yes/no. My brain just stops working for a minute.

It's hard to explain to others but it's a very different feeling from the normal type of forgetting that everyone gets (you know, the "who was that actor/actress in that movie" or "what was the title/author of that book"). I still get that type of forgetting, too. But it feels completely different.

PS. No need to respond - I know you have LOTS of messages!

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
images
This is me having a brain fart??

Lynne B

Hi, Alex, Great news that you'll be home soon, and it's also good that you're getting home modifications. My elderly mother gets around everywhere with a walker, even in the house, and her rails, ramps and stair modifications help her enormously.
cheers, Lynne

alex3619

Hi Lynne, I will be on what is called a hopper, like a walker but for hopping on one leg. It is much more stable than crutches but less flexible. I am glad your mother can stay mobile and has the aids to help her. I have a new appreciation of these issues now. Take care, Alex

Sea

That sounds like a very tiring way of getting around Alex. Any chance you could borrow a wheel chair? Hope you remember to take it easy when you go home.

alex3619

Sea I would have problems with a wheelchair as I cannot get in and out of home using one without even more modifications. In addition I need to keep my muscles working or rehab will be even harder once I can walk again, which is only in two to six weeks (I hope). It is tiring though, my range before rest is very short - less than twenty meters. However I also have a brand new heavy duty ergonomic 5 wheeled computer chair. Guess where I will be sitting a lot of the time? I have never even sat in it, it arrived after I entered hospital. This chair is very strong, stable, and has a mesh back which means it wont cause sweating in summer. Worth the expense.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Glad to hear you're going home soon - nothing like your own place is there.
But take it easy Alex - being upright is quite hard after being horizontal for a while.
You'll have to balance carefully the need to excercise and keep your leg up to avoid any swelling getting worse. Hard for us. I'm sure the physios will have some good ideas on that one.

Computer chair sounds awesome - think the work that's done in it has to match in terms of impressiveness:)

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
yay, glad to hear the cast is off and you're set to go home when the improvements are complete. always good to be at home.

Lynne B

Alex, I think you're going to face all sorts of difficulties moving around with a hopper and a moonboot so be ready for frustration. Will you have any sort of helpful followup from the hospital with meals on wheels or community services like cleaners or people to shop for you? My feet have been red and swollen all summer and still haven't calmed down yet. The good thing is we're going into cooler weather so that should help with your swelling. I've also got a couple of flexible coldpacks that I can lie under and over my feet when they're up. Good luck with it all. Lynne

alex3619

Hi Lynne, I am going to order food online for a couple of days, then try a dinner delivery service. I already get limited cleaning support. Meals on wheels is available but I can't use it till I get my freezer fixed, which is what I was going to organize the day after I broke my leg.

Simple foot elevation should deal with my foot swelling. I usually use a hot pack rather than a cold pack, I find it easier, but I can do both.

I just finished my first five meter walk with a moonboot, then lay down to rest my foot. It took only a minute or two, but it took twenty minutes to put the moonboot on.... the last strap is hard to reach, and it had to all be readjusted when standing up .... which almost caused my hospital gown to fall off. Doh. :oops:

Best wishes, Alex.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I just finished my first five meter walk with a moonboot, then lay down to rest my foot. It took only a minute or two, but it took twenty minutes to put the moonboot on.... the last strap is hard to reach, and it had to all be readjusted when standing up .... which almost caused my hospital gown to fall off. Doh. :oops:

Best wishes, Alex.

What!? They still have you in a gown? :eek: Isn't that a bit extreme--couldn't they let you wear a T shirt and shorts? Or do they go for humiliation?

Sushi

alex3619

I have no suitable clothes for this, and they do not provide any. So its a gown or even less, doh. I wanted to order some online but it turns out to be not so easy, and its almost time for me to go home. I do have T shirts at home but none of my shorts are suitable. For one thing they wouldn't have gone over a bulky cast, but the real issue is they are all belted and so very uncomfortable lying down.