• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Unrest" updates

Hajnalka

Gloria Steinem (never heard of her, but she has 266.632 followers) just shared the Unrest trailer on her Facebook page and told people to go see it. And a journalist (Katie Couric) with 649.515 followers liked it. I don't know them but it's great that opinion makers multiply the trailer. And I guess they have some other influential people (we call them "multipliers" in German) in their list of followers who might also get interested. So the movie (and the topic ME) really seems to get out there beyond ME and chronic illness circles. I'm very hopeful.

There is an easy to use (one-click) social media toolkit (there are different tabs you can click on (wasn't obvious for me at first) - Share, UNREST in Theaters, After Watching, Time for Unrest Campaign):

Groggy Doggy

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/unrest_2017#contentReviews

Summary of Rotten Tomatoes excerpts from film critics!!!

"This is jaw-dropping stuff, made more profoundly disturbing by the fact that so little is known about the disease."

"The movie delivers a striking degree of emotional authenticity with its home footage, allowing it to become more about its central couple's resilience than the hardships that tests their bond."

"Consistently involving, with content diverse enough to avoid the tunnel-visioned pitfalls of diarist cinema."

"The film is both a chronicle of how the illness devastates lives (as Brea puts it, it was as if she died but was forced to watch the world move on) and a cold-case mystery."

"It powerfully insists on giving a voice to victims whose greatest challenge, apart from their symptoms, is surmounting a world of indifference."

"Using her own experience with the syndrome as a springboard, Brea offers an affecting film that, when made available on video, will be embraced by the millions suffering CFS worldwide."

"Brea offers a surprisingly energetic look at chronic fatigue syndrome, which has derailed her life."

"Fraught with honesty, Unrest gives us a raw and up-close look at how a chronic illness can impact a relationship."

Last edited:

Groggy Doggy

My personal review:

I feel @JenB in UnRest hits the ball right out of the park!!! She brings an invisible disability out into the wide open. For most, who know little about ME, it's a good introduction to the illness and it's many challenges.

In the near future, I hope we see more films of this high quality, to hit the big screen. If UnRest serves as an inspiration for more independent film makers to come forward, then in my book, it's a grand slam!

Groggy Doggy

However I felt that a number of issues weren't sufficiently fleshed out and resolved. For example, Karina's case. Per Fink comes across as relatively reasonable. We see the protests to get Karina back home, but when she is home we see her sitting on her bed in a well lit room looking quite healthy. And she doesn't say anything. And so it's easy to think, well, maybe she was helped by the treatment. (I'm not saying that she was - just that the story as presented in the film could well lead people to think that).
I watched UnRest with a healthy friend, and that was not at all his take away. He was shocked at Karina's case because he thought Denmark was a progressive country. He was upset at Fink too. Here in the US, we are told Denmark is the happiest place to live on earth.

As ME peeps, we may have a bias because many of us know all the nitty gritty details of Karina's case, PACE trial, etc. We understand way more than the general public, especially since PR has a forum where so much is analysed and debated. The film, as I understand it, is more about making ME visible to the general public, medical professonals, researchers, and politicians. UnRest seems an excellence first pass at a widespread introduction to ME, which is the lense I was watching it through. I do understand your points, but that may require more of a deep dive, possibly a four plus part miniseries, because so much has happened, or not happened in 30 years.

I was at IFC for a Q and A screening with my well husband yesterday.

Unrest bowled me over. I had read mixed reviews from patients who had seen the film, so wasn't expecting much.
But... Unrest hit me like a brick emotionally - I cried throughout, but sobbed uncontrollably when it was finished.

I related to everything in her film - Unrest touched on every aspect of my experience. Being ill for 18 years (though currently in remission) and having two daughters who came down with ME/CFS - one as a child and one who became ill only recently. As patient, caregiver (while sick and while well) and having appreciation for a spouse who has stuck with me.

As a film (I'm a film buff and family works in the industry) Unrest works beautifully. It is never preachy - which some PwME might take umbrage at - but I appreciated that aspect. I was even more impressed by Omar after the film than in the film - and was thinking we should have a yearly caregiver appreciation day for our loved ones who stay by us!!

Groggy Doggy

Here's an excellent interview with Jen Brea in advance of "Unrest" screening in Chicago at Facets Cinematheque from September 29 through October 5.

http://www.chicagonow.com/comedians...st-won-at-sundance-and-is-changing-the-world/
My favorite quote from the interview: (brought me to tears)

"If we could just lift those things off of patients …when you’re diagnosed if your community would understand what a profound life-changing event you’re experiencing and if they rallied around you and sent you flowers and brought you lasagna and knew how to ask about how you’re feeling ... If there were marathons, and they would go out and run for you and fundraise … all the things that happen when you get cancer or other diseases that the public better understands." - Jen Brea

Last edited:

Groggy Doggy

My feelings BEFORE watching UnRest, and reading the film reviews.
Usually I hesitated to describe my illness and the profound impact it's had on my life. We live in a culture that seems to value youth, beauty, wealth, and power. So I best comply and sweep myself back under the rug.

My feelings AFTER:
I AM one of the Millions Missing!!! Bring it on, cause I am ready to fight!!

Old Bones

Unrest Review - "Take Two"

Mr. Bones and I were pleased to have an opportunity to revisit "Unrest" during a screening at our local film festival. In my first review, I expressed disappointment that the documentary didn't meet my extremely high expectations. This time (four months after our first viewing), both of us left the theatre saying "Wow". Afterwards, we discussed possible reasons for our change of heart about the film. And therein probably lies the answer -- "heart".

With both of us being more focused on facts than feelings, our original thinking was that a documentary about ME, in order to be effective, would need to instruct rather than demonstrate. We were disappointed that the "science" of ME wasn't spelled out in clearer terms. So, for our second viewing we put this expectation out of our minds and merely sat back for the ride, accepting whatever came. And what an emotional ride it was. I was close to tears at various points, and felt a connection to Jen, and the other patients.

Even more surprising was that once I stopped looking for medical information and direct challenges to the presumed psychological basis for the illness, I realized the documentary actually covered these topics quite well. Doctor Klimas appeared more often, and said more than I originally thought she did. Similarly, the segment with Ron Davis, Janet Dafoe and Whitney was longer than I recalled. And yes, Ron did speak -- very clearly and eloquently.

During the second viewing, we appreciated Unrest as a film, and not just as a film about ME. We noticed and appreciated the beautiful cinematography and musical score. And now we can't wait to see it again, and again, wondering which segments will most catch our attention during a third and fourth viewing. Because, there were several scenes I didn't even recall having seen before. Perhaps my ME brain shut down for a while -- who knows. Regardless, Unrest has enough varying content to encourage much thought and conversation from many angles, and is well worth seeing.

Great job and congratulations, @JenB . We wish you the best of success with the theatrical release.

"Unrest Film Screening at the Leiden University Medical Center
Nov 10th
Come join us and watch Unrest, a 2017 award-winning documentary. This is a unique opportunity to learn more about the mysterious disease known as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. In the Netherlands, thereare an estimated 44,000 to 130,000 ME/CFS patients.

The film is in English with Dutch subtitles.

This is a free event! Admission is free, but you must reserve a free ticket."

https://www.eventbrite.nl/e/unrest-...university-medical-center-tickets-37816978601