• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Unrest" Documentary Media Coverage

Old Bones

The Salt Lake Tribune: Snapshots from Sundance

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4867427-155/snapshots-from-sundance-mark-hamill-gets

"One of the more heartfelt standing ovations at the festival was given Thursday morning to filmmaker Jennifer Brea, after the last screening of her documentary "Unrest," in which she chronicled her battle with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), commonly known as chronic fatigue syndrome.

Part of the push behind "Unrest" is to lobby for increased funding for research on the often-misunderstood disease."

AndyPR

Sundance: Medical Mystery Doc 'Unrest' Nabbed by PBS

The film, which will air on the network's 'Independent Lens' series, chronicles director Jennifer Brea's battle with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
The medical mystery doc Unrest has been solved by PBS. The network has acquired U.S. broadcast rights for its Emmy Award-winning series Independent Lens.

The series will broadcast the film during its first quarter in 2018, following a national theatrical release.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sundance-medical-mystery-doc-unrest-nabbed-by-pbs-968176

Dechi

Why do they say our illness is an autoimmune disease?: 3rd paragraph down:

"Brea, then a Harvard PhD student, thought she could fight the autoimmune disease with symptoms that include muscle pain and sensitivity to light and sound by telling herself what she had was merely “in her head.” But despite her willpower, Brea collapsed once she made it to the door."

GG

@*GG* I don't think that the possibility of ME being an autoimmune disease has been rules out yet, has it ?

*GG*

@*GG* I don't think that the possibility of ME being an autoimmune disease has been rules out yet, has it ?

Well, you don't usually claim something until you have proof, and it should be verified (another study or what not). So not sure that 2nd step has been taken?

Hope it is not auto-immune, lots of those drugs seem so scary!

GG

Hajnalka

Great review on IMDb (from January, but I think I haven't seen it here):
1 out of 1 people found the following review useful:

Blow you out of the water good
100.gif

Author: exceedhergrasp from United States
31 January 2017
One of the most compelling documentaries I've ever seen. From moment one ("Princeton Veterinary Hospital") Jen and Omar reel you into the mad, new life Jen's illness has shaped for them. The movie goes beyond educating people about a poorly-understood illness. Instead, it vividly recreates the reality of Jen and the other patients, and it does so with such humor, humanity, and loving-kindness that you feel as though you know all of these people and are deeply invested in their small triumphs. An absolute must for any documentary devotee, and anyone who struggles with chronic illness or is struggling to understand the world of someone who does.

I know this is full of superlatives, but I can't help it. Ugly crying was involved when I saw this story, but it somehow manages to be uplifting instead of despairing. I can't recommend it highly enough.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3268850/reviews

AndyPR

Old Bones

This review sent me reaching for my dictionary (well actually, the on-line version). Perspicacious -- "having a ready insight into and understanding of things, astute, penetrating, observant, insightful . . . ".

SXSW 2017: IN “UNREST”, JENNIFER BREA IS AN IMPOSSIBLY STEADY TRAGEDIAN

https://cmfilmcommentary.com/2017/03/20/unrest-sxsw-2017/

Although a bit awkward for me to read, there's some good content here:

"In our world, citizens and doctors often erroneously agree: can’t see it, can’t touch it, it isn’t real. But hi-tech advances in both medical and information technologies have forced the medical community to reevaluate arcane classifications of many human sicknesses, including Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, from which Brea suffers."

"Unrest is a quite unbelievable accomplishment not only because of the managerial complexities necessary to get it made, but also because it is a tonally and aesthetically expert first film."

"More importantly, of course, is the change to policy, medical funding, activism, and information that Unrest could elicit during its ongoing international tour. With its wide-ranging invocation of such issues as patriarchal abuses in healthcare and the failure of the news media to properly discuss CFS, the film plays bigger than many illness documentaries of its ilk, . . ."

John Mac

Some even believe that it is a psychosomatic condition, best treated through psychiatric means. Still, there appears to be a growing consensus that the symptoms are real, related in some way to autoimmune deficiencies. But there is enough dispute – and rejection of its reality – that those afflicted with it suffer twice, first from the disease and then from the stigma attached to it.

http://www.hammertonail.com/film-festivals/unrest-review/

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
If this reviewer doesn't have some personal connection to the disease, then the film must do a phenomenal job of getting the points across.

https://triad-city-beat.com/2017/03/review-unrest/

Brea knits together a global community in a way that is beautiful and empowering. Her voice lifts a film that is both charged with urgency and slowed down to the speed of a disease that freezes lives in place while the world seems to pass by. “Sickness doesn’t terrify me, and death doesn’t terrify me,” Brea says. “What terrifies me is that you can disappear because someone’s telling the wrong story about you.”