• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Unknown PACE-trial advocate tries to block JHP issue dedicated to the trial

Stewart

Both Coyne and Marks used the term Weaselly Coward in describing the attempt to block the publication.

I'm confused.
I think Coyne might have jumped to the conclusion that it was SW, as it would fit his preferred methods of operating behind the scenes to influence debate (which Coyne has personally experienced, as he's written about previously on his blog) and he shared this conclusion with David Marks.

But it doesn't mean that Coyne was right to jump to that conclusion (and his most recent blog post suggests that he doesn't know for sure the identity of the complainant). Personally I think it's more likely to have been a senior member of the PACE team, given that they've already had a run in with David Marks over the JHP's coverage of their trial. But I can't believe that Wessely hasn't been kept in the loop, even if he wasn't the one applying the pressure.

Chrisb

How appropriate to introduce The Wizard of Oz. I learned only recently that it is probably an allegory concerning particular mid western political and financial shenanigans. It may be at I was the last remaining person to whom this was unknown but, just in case there are others, I include this link which explains the possible interpretation.

http://www.usagold.com/gildedopinion/oz.html

Gold and silver and dollars.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Both Coyne and Marks used the term Weaselly Coward in describing the attempt to block the publication.

I'm confused.

They're just implying the person was likely of the Wessley/White/Sharpe/Chalder camp. This group has many minions and disciples, so SW saying that he didn't contact the publishers himself literally means just that.

Valentijn

Wessely is indeed the weaselly one of the lot, wriggling his way into various political burrows, working against patients behind the scenes (eventually exposed in a couple cases), and doing his best to look cute and fluffy in the process. His name is just happy coincidence. The rest of the psychosocial bunch have their own dastardly characteristics, but none that I'd describe as particularly weaselly.

Couldn't it simply have been White himself?
White's modus operandi seems to be going to the media and whining about mere patients challenging his claims. I don't doubt he does the same with journals and such, but it's not an approach that seems particularly weasel-like :p

trishrhymes

I think it matters, and I think the name or names of whoever tried to prevent publication should be made public. It is totally unprofessional behaviour.

They should be called to account as anti science and anti justice for patients. Their employer should be informed too and take disciplinary action.

And they should be prevented from ever treating patients and researching or teaching students about ME, or having any role in ME at all.

Can you guess I'm a bit angry?

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
No.

And WHO did this doesn't really matter.

I think it does. As someone whose work was potentially blocked from publication on spurious grounds I think I am entitled to know who it was. I do not see any reason why the name should be confidential. SAGE would be under no obligation to keep it so.

What if it was someone like Horton? He is in a position of influence and stands to lose a lot of face from the issue.
I think the ramifications of this sort of interference are quite important.

If the person genuinely tried to use their status to influence publication I think it would be a resigning matter.

trishrhymes

I think it does. As someone whose work was potentially blocked from publication on spurious grounds I think I am entitled to know who it was. I do not see any reason why the name should be confidential. SAGE would be under no obligation to keep it so.

What if it was someone like Horton? He is in a position of influence and stands to lose a lot of face from the issue.
I think the ramifications of this sort of interference are quite important.

If the person genuinely tried to use their status to influence publication I think it would be a resigning matter.

I agree. You have a right to know. Have you asked Sage Publications?

Leopardtail

I have now had chance to read all but one of the papers. I was greatly impressed by the quality and civility of the analyses and between them they revealed a host of issues.

So far I have found a reference to this in the London Times (so-so written), an article in the Daily Mail, one in the Guardian and nicely written one in the new York Times.

The job's not done yet, but I coulds not resist a bit of fun.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
I have now had chance to read all but one of the papers. I was greatly impressed by the quality and civility of the analyses and between them they revealed a host of issues.

So far I have found a reference to this in the London Times (so-so written), an article in the Daily Mail, one in the Guardian and nicely written one in the new York Times.

@Leopardtail
Where did you find something in the Grauniad? I emailed them cos I didn't think they had written anything.