• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Unfolded Protein Response and A Possible Treatment for CFS

mariovitali

I wanted to give a small update which i believe is important :

For the past 2 days i am feeling really bad because of a nasty flu (influenza) i got. I have fever, cough, blocked nose...and i love it! :)

I know that you'll probably be thinking right now that "i lost it" but please bare with me.

This is the first time in years that i had a normal response in an Influenza infection : I would either not get sick or be sick for 6-7 hours (not days) and then my Body would overcome it.

Stupidly i was thinking that "my Immune system works very well" and i was happy about it. As discussed many times in the Thread, my Theory is that increased ROS and Oxidative Stress is the reason behind this situation (ie not getting sick easily) and not an Overactive Immune system.

Our body uses Reactive Oxygen Species to fight viruses. It also heightens the Body temperature to create an unfriendly environment for the virus. Simply put, a body that has high levels of ROS is not a friendly environment for a virus. The lack of Symptoms that you may have when you have a Flu is because ROS are being consumed to fight the viral infection (my Theory).

If you have any friend that suffers from Bipolar Disorder (in my Theory, yet another condition attributed to uncontrolled Oxidative Stress) please ask : Do they get the flu every year? How many days does it last?

roller

wiggle jiggle
i feel with you, @mariovitali :)

i also was never prone to stupid flues and didnt have any mumps, measles or whatever (not vaccinated).
i could cut millions of onions and bath in pepper barrels without batting an eye lid.
i was not allergic to anything in this world (tested).

me, and my bestest immune system ever.

xrayspex

I am slowly working my way thru this thread--this concept of UPR is new to me but fascinating---do we know if certain major anesthesias used in surgery could cause UPR? particularly perhaps ones that were more potent 25 years ago?

Also, can any of you recommend a brand of TUDCA or pm? (not sure if against rules)

aquariusgirl

I had low secondary bile acids.. on an old test....I think proper copper has helped with bile..cos I no longer have gallbladder issues...pain ..nausea.......But would also like to try tudca... so pls post the brand that ppl think is best... thanks.

Hip

This thread is unfortunately a bit too long and byzantine for me to follow it (I have ADHD as well as brain fog), but I just wanted add some info:

Sigma 1 receptor agonists can reduce endoplasmic reticulum stress. See this study: Fluvoxamine alleviates ER stress via induction of Sigma-1 receptor

Other sigma 1 receptor agonists are listed here: Sigma-1 receptor - Wikipedia

Probably the most easy to obtain agonist from the list is dextromethorphan, which is found in some cough mixtures, and can also be bought in pill form.

op2pig

op2ig
It is four months and 10 days since I came across Mario's initial post and I'm ready to start the protocol.A key biomarker to monitor my progress is homocysteine. My homocysteine liver levels were elevated at 14.4 (Reference range: <10).

I took accutane in 1998 and 2001. Fingers crossed! :D

mariovitali

@Hip

I am afraid there is more going on apart from ER Stress. The Thread is huge, i am trying to create a PDF with all required information.

I continue to stand by my Theory : A Liver insult leads to a vicious cycle of Oxidative Stress, possibly with Biliary involvement and as a consequence several problems after that.

For now i am keeping my mouth shut, i will open it as soon as i have results from people who are committed in following the regimen (always in co-operation with a certified medical professional).

@op2pig
PM me whenever you want to discuss.

Hip

I continue to stand by my Theory : A Liver insult leads to a vicious cycle of Oxidative Stress, possibly with Biliary involvement and as a consequence several problems after that.

That is a different theory to the one you originally proposed. Where did this new idea come from, what do you speculate causes the liver insult, and how does this insult then lead to oxidative stress?

mariovitali

@Hip

Yes, the original post on this Thread was made quite some time ago.

Do you want to try my regimen? Send me over your DNA Data if you want and i can give you some suggestions to try out. The report looks like this :

7.png

and the Summary :

6.png

Valentijn

The SNP aspect is still completely meaningless, until you distinguish between normal variations and variations which are capable of having any impact.

Hip

Yes, the original post on this Thread was made quite some time ago.

So you are making it up as you go along on this thread?

Send me over your DNA Data if you want and i can give you some suggestions to try out. The report looks like this :

I tend to think that the SNP protocols and therapies on this forum are a more pseudoscience than science. Using SNP data sounds very scientific and technical, but in most cases, it's not much advancement on reading palms or reading tea leaves.

Hip

It's called "learning as you go and trying to help others".

Well if @mariovitali's feels his original ideas about endoplasmic reticulum stress are no longer relevant or are wrong, and now it's all about the liver, perhaps it would be an idea to make this clear in this thread.

I'd like to know why @mariovitali abandoned his endoplasmic reticulum stress ideas. What did he find wrong with them?

And how do these new ideas about the liver help explain why the original set of supplements were so helpful in ameliorating and overcoming post-finasteride syndrome.

The old explanation was that these supplements reduced endoplasmic reticulum stress and reduced protein misfolding. What is the new explanation?

Last edited:

Violeta

Well if @mariovitali's feels his original ideas about endoplasmic reticulum stress are no longer relevant or are wrong, and now it's all about the liver, perhaps it would be an idea to make this clear in this thread.

I'd like to know why @mariovitali abandoned his endoplasmic reticulum stress ideas. What did he find wrong with them?

And how do these new ideas about the liver help explain why the original set of supplements were so helpful in ameliorating and overcoming post-finasteride syndrome.

The old explanation was that these supplements reduced endoplasmic reticulum stress and reduced protein misfolding. What is the new explanation?

Nothing, endoplasmic reticulum stress can be caused by liver issues.