• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ULTRACET VS. TRAMADOL

barbc56

In the last several months I have been having trouble keeping my pain under control. There are several factors that have not helped such as possible neuropathy in my upper left leg and/or arthritis in my left hip but I am guessing about this as until the last month or so, I haven't needed to see the doctor about this and was waiting to be seen at the pain clinic. It often hurts when I touch my leg and within 5 minutes my FM pain starts. TBH, I am not always sure which comes first. The first time I remember this happening was last summer when the AC turned on, I was right under the vent and when the air brushed against my leg, the FM pain started and then spread to my hip and back.Possible allodynia?

I also have low Vitamin D levels and unfortunately,can't take high dosages as I had kidney stones when I was on the high dosage Vitamin D so I am taking lower doses which means it will take me longer to get to the level to help with the pain.

I take tramadol and can take up to 300 mg. per day, though don't use this dosage every day and it has done wonders tor my pain for the last eight years. Unfortunately, not for the fatigue, IBS, etc. Usually two 50mg.tablets will do it for me and a months worth of a script usually lasts for two months. I am not taking higher doses except when needed and so the dosage has evened out. I can also go for days without taking it and haven't experienced any withdrawal symptoms.

I am going to visit family this week and of course the pain has been worse than usual. I worry that I might not be able to travel.

I had a referral to my hospital's pain clinic two weeks ago and it had to be cancelled because of the weather here in the midwest.:mad:

Someone mentioned Ultracet to me the other day. It combines tramadol and acemetaphinemine. I hadn't heard of it.

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has used both medications, one or the other or if someone knows someone who uses it, as well as any side effects,, like sleepiness, dosages, etc.

I am going to call my PCP tomorrow and see what she says

Like a lot of us narotics don't work for me. ( found an article which tells why and when I am feeling better will post it.)

Thanks in advance.

Barb

Last edited:

Symptomatic

I thought Tramadol *was* an opiate? (red bold below is mine)

From Wikipedia: Tramadol (marketed as the hydrochloride salt by Janssen Pharmaceutica as Ultram in the United States, Ralivia by Biovail in Canada and many other companies throughout the world) is a centrally acting opioid analgesic used to treat moderate to moderately severe pain. The drug has a wide range of applications, including treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, restless legs syndrome, motor neurone disease and fibromyalgia.[citation needed] It was launched and marketed as Tramal by the German pharmaceutical company Grünenthal GmbH in 1977.[2][3]

PennyIA

Interestingly, I'm allergic to most narcotics as well as the drugs that are non-narcotics but act on the narcotic receptors. But Tramadol must be different in some way as I've been able to use it successfully several times (short-range treatment though) without an allergic reaction. In fact, other than Nsaids and Morphine, it's the only other prescription pain killer I can take without an allergic reaction.

Edited... sorry brain fog. I'm allergic to narcotics. Not opiates... and yeah... that's why I can take Tramadol. So I updated my earlier message which now is no longer needed. Stupid brain fog.

Last edited:

barbc56

@Symptomatic . I'm glad you posted as I need to change my original post from opiate to narcotic. I think that's the terminology so someone let me know if it isn't. Thanks.

Tramadol hydrochloride is a prescription pain medication. It is licensed for the treatment of moderate to moderately severe pain in adults. Even though tramadol is an opioid (morphine-like) medication, it is not considered a narcotic or a controlled substance by the United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).

Tramadol works like an antideptrssant in that it increases serotonin. It's important that your doctor knows if you are on both medications to prevent Serotonin syndrome, which can be life threatening. If I remember correctly there is a formula to determine how to prevent SS.

Last edited:

Sea

@barbc56 Ultracet has Acetiminophen in it (in Australia it's called Paracetamol). It's available over the counter for all ages. You could try having some Acetiminophen with your Tramadol to see if it makes a difference. In hospital I've been told by nurses on several occasions that Acetiminophen improves the pain relief of opiates even in people who don't really find it helpful on it's own. It's common to find it in opiod medications.

barbc56

@Sea , thanks for your suggestion. I had forgotten there is Tynelol in Ultracet. I also forgot that another doctor recommended this a long time ago,as long as I don't take both at the same time and no more than ten days for breakthrough pain. Now I wonder why you can take both at the same time with the Ultracet. Maybe a different amount, but need to chech this.

So far this has helped.:)