• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK's Mike Skinner from The Streets had M.E.

Esther12

Luckily it sounds like he didn't have it too badly, but he sounds sweet talking about it and the people who are more badly affected. His debut album came out just when I was first ill, and still expecting to get better soon, so bring up some mixed emotions, but I really enjoyed it musically.

While there's still so much stigma arround ME, and he could have easily avoided talking about it, I agree that it's good for him to be so open about it. Thanks Mike!

eric_s

Yes, i read about him some weeks ago too. I wonder what he did to get better.

I think he might be able help us a lot, if he wants to. Imagine if he and some other bands/artists would do a concert for ME. Not mainly because of the money the could raise, but i think this could really create awareness and even change how ME/CFS is seen. It might become cool to support ME/CFS.

I think a UK organisation should try to approach him. If he would not want to do something like that, ok, but one can always try and ask.

usedtobeperkytina

I'll

I'll take it. A concert for ME.

Randy Newman just released a new album. It's time for all of them to come out of the closet and take their stand along those of us who give so much, although we have very little.

Of course, we don't know if they are making donations anonymously. But even if they are, it's time to come out of the closet.

I know Dr. Bateman said if XMRV works out, you will see lots of people come out of the closet.

eric_s

Could MCWPA or Pandora try to initiate something like that? Or try to contact a UK org so they can contact him? That would be very cool.

If XMRV were not to work out (i'm not expecting that) we would need those people to go public even much more.

You can tell them they will be heroes for 2 million people...

SDP

Sufjan Stevens had a similar illness in 2009-10. In the interview I read (which I now cannot find) he didn't mention 'CFS' but the symptoms appeared similar and I seem to recall it was viral onset too.

(the reference to Sufjan will no doubt highlight any generational gap on the forums ;)