• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK scientists muzzled again?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
This is in similar vein to this thread from last year.
Scientists attack their 'muzzling' by government

State-funded scientists could be prevented from lobbying for change in their field under Cabinet Office proposals

Senior scientists have denounced a potential move to “muzzle” colleagues whose findings are disliked by the government.

The proposal – announced by the Cabinet Office earlier this month – would block researchers who receive government grants from using their results to lobby for changes to laws or regulations.

I wonder to what extent this p0licy arose from former advisor David Nutt and his inconvenient truth that policy on recreational drugs doesn't work, and that they should be decriminalised. After parting company with the government he proceeded to lobby strongly for his preferred, evidence-based policy.

Such 'muzzling' could adversely affect us - if a government-funded study finds strong evidence that an expensive treatment works for us, or if unequivocal evidence were found that CBT/GET caused serious harm, for example, and that doesn't suit the politicians...

I don't know much about the UK in terms of pharmaceutical policies but I do know that the UK and Canada have terrible environmental science policies in regards to defunding scientists etc anything which would hurt the present economy.

It's a shame that governments only think about the present and maintaining a strong economy to convince voters they should remain in power.