The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

UK: has anyone had a blood volume test? Which one?

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by Sasha, Apr 12, 2016.

1. keenly

keenly Senior Member

UK
    I would really like this tests and I am going to request it! Thanks for input and keep us informed.

Binkie4 likes this.
  2. bombsh3ll

bombsh3ll Senior Member

I'm just writing to update regarding the outcome of my blood volume test at the BMI. I had high hopes for this proving hypovolaemia. Unfortunately there seems to have been a laboratory problem and the result I received was meaningless. I was reported to have a red cell mass nearly 200% the expected value. This would be far higher than Lance Armstrong had whilst winning the Tour de France jacked up on Epo, and is probably incompatible with life as it would mean blood as thick as treacle.

My plasma volume, which is what I was interested in, was reported as being 20% higher than expected, but with the clearly erroneous red cell mass, the reliability of the whole test is seriously questionable.

The hospital are now investigating this and worryingly have found that other patients' red cell mass has been reported at values that are so far out from normal as to be almost certainly inaccurate. I have a complaint in and am waiting for a refund.

ryan31337 and Binkie4 like this.
  3. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member

@bombsh3ll
    Thank you for feeding this back. I am sorry you had this dreadful experience. I hope you did not have to expend a lot of energy you couldn't afford on dealing with this. Very disappointing and I hope you get full recompense without too much effort. I too had hoped to find out my blood volume but obviously not there. Do you think this is a hospital issue, or a problem with the technique? I have only heard of the Daxor machine as a blood measure but in the US. Good luck with your complaint.

EDIT: I had an anaesthetic a month ago and was able to have saline. I wish I had the evidence from an accurate test for ongoing treatment as you describe.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018

See more popular forum discussions.