• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK: ESA tribunal - should I get a representative?

taniaaust1

Particularly annoying as the whole application and appeal process began in March, so I've already had 9 months of it this year. I could do with a longer rest! :confused:

Thanks for the congrats, though!

Maybe they wont do what they said? I know Im in a different country to u but when I got my DSP which I fought hard for 9mths to get (3 appeals!!) and had it backdated, they told me that they were going to review it in 2 years. I think its been 3 years now and I havent heard of any review for me yet. **fingers crossed** Actually if it does come up for me again.. I now have a more conditions diagnosed by doctors eg POTS which I didnt have diagnosed back then so it possibly may be easier.

Firestormm

Particularly annoying as the whole application and appeal process began in March, so I've already had 9 months of it this year. I could do with a longer rest! :confused:

Thanks for the congrats, though!

Do you get a rebate check in the post? I did for my DLA. Didn't expect it and I was able to by a bettr bed and matrss for support.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Maybe they wont do what they said? I know Im in a different country to u but when I got my DSP which I fought hard for 9mths to get (3 appeals!!) and had it backdated, they told me that they were going to review it in 2 years. I think its been 3 years now and I havent heard of any review for me yet. **fingers crossed** Actually if it does come up for me again.. I now have a more conditions diagnosed by doctors eg POTS which I didnt have diagnosed back then so it possibly may be easier.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for that too! I'm glad yours haven't chased you up as quickly as they said.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Do you get a rebate check in the post? I did for my DLA. Didn't expect it and I was able to by a bettr bed and matrss for support.

I just get my NI contributions paid for me because of my ESA eligibility so I won't get a check but at least my state pension will be intact! Also, you never know what NI contributions you'll need in the future so it was important to me to get them reinstated.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Just had another letter from DWP this morning - just had my DLA renewed at the previous rates with no argument and no medical, just on my paper application - yippee! Two bits of good news there in the space of a few days.

I was more worried about the DLA since that's actual income for me so that's actually a huge relief.

I hope this is an encouragement to anyone applying.

I used the guides on this site:

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

in both my applications and my ESA appeal, which were extremely helpful. Another forum member recommended it to me (thank you, that forum member!). Well worth the small fee of £19.45.

Pleased to hear that it wasn't too much trouble for you this time. They clearly know not to mess with you!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Pleased to hear that it wasn't too much trouble for you this time. They clearly know not to mess with you!

Thanks Esther but I think it's more like they're just making decisions at random and they happened to make a correct one! :)