• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ubiquinol vs Ubiquinone - the latter may be just as good... comments?

Bansaw

I've just bought some CoQ10 Ubiquinol and will start to take that soon.
However, I just read an article saying that Ubiquinone may not be that far behind Ubiquinol after all.
Any comments on this?
While many have jumped on the ubiquinol bandwagon, it’s important to point out that ubiquinone has an extensive history of successful use, particularly in oil-based soft gel capsules. Furthermore, several technologies are now used to enhance the bioavailability of ubiquinone, including particle size reduction (nanonization) and solubility enhancement via the use of emulsifying agents, carriers and self-emulsifying systems.14

For example, combining ubiquinone with a soy peptide (BioQ10 SA) results in exceptional bioavailability because the soy peptide emulsifies the CoQ10 and helps usher it into the bloodstream.15 Given the excellent absorption of this form of ubiquinone, the advantage of ubiquinol over regular ubiquinone appears to have more to do with its improved solubility than because it is in the ubiquinol form.

And, do you take Ubiquinol on an empty stomach, or with food. How do you increase its absorption?

ahmo

Take it w/ food, best for all oily supps.

I read another thread here a few weeks ago on this topic. I'd switched to ubiquinol a couple years ago. I ordered a sample size ubiquinone to try it, same brand, Healthy Origins. I do all my supp dosages by self-testing. My body definitely did not like the ubiquinone, I'm staying w/ the higher priced ubiquinol.

L'engle

moogle
I tried a a ubiquinol free sample and it made me feel really weird. I've taken ubiquinone in the past and while it does help with energy I find it can interfere with sleep. I'm of two minds and have an unopened container in the supplement drawer.

Mij

There are many discussions whether ubiquinol is better absorbed than ubiquinone. Based on my own personal experience, I feel ubiquinol is more effective for me. I noticed quite a difference when I increased the dose to 200mg/day taken every day.
So, recently I tried the ubiquinone because the cost is much lower to see if I can feel any difference. I took 200mg/day for the last 2 months and I'm feeling that it's just not the same, for me I don't feel extra energy from taking CoQ10 as some people do, but it's the recovery time after some light exercise is where it helps.
I'm thinking of going back on the more expensive ubiquinol. I found this article interesting. Could the difference in experiences be based on how our well our gut is functioning?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24979483

Mij

I have come to the conclusion that CoQ10 is giving me insomnia. I've just made the connection. I feel hyper. I had the same reaction many years ago with ginseng. I'm going to discontine for a while and start back up at a lower dose.