Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

uBiome announce launch of 'citizen microbiome study portal' to crowdsource research

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    uBiome want people to suggest projects in which people with particular diseases send in faecal samples and they look for communalities (as I understand it) or to better understand the disease. I wonder if this would be an opportunity to have PWME fill in a symptom questionnaire and/or onset-type questionnaire, etc. and do a correlational study of some sort.

There's a commercial gain to uBiome, I assume (I can't see that they're a nonprofit) if people send samples. If I was going to spend that money on microbiome research I'd spend it on Columbia or IiME's gut project but if I wanted my own microbiome sampled (and uBiome have done that in the past for me) I'd want an ME project on the go.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/06/prweb12811750.htm?mc_cid=632816b378&mc_eid=4eb5c15eb3

Bob and aimossy like this.
  2. adreno

adreno PR activist

So people send in samples, but who does the actual research? I can suggest a study and then get access to the samples? Or how does this work?

3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    My impression is that uBiome does the research but I'd hope there's room for input into the variables that would be collected and the analyses that would be done.

There's an email address at the bottom there for questions.

Here's an example they give of an ongoing project (note the free 50 kits they're offering):

http://ubiome.com/pages/pregnancy

aimossy likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.