• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Two food questions

outdamnspot

Been feeling a lot worse lately and was trying to rule variables out. I've read people talk about Oxalates here, but don't have the energy to comprehend it. How would we know if we have an issue? I've read people mention pain as a symptom; I have ~1 cup of spinach in a smoothie each day, and tend to feel more clear-headed/less-inflamed if anything. I also take 3-4g of Vit C at night.

The other thing I do daily is drink 3-4 tablespoons of chia seeds soaked in water (forming a kind of 'gel'). I wasn't sure if excessive Omega 3 consumption could be causing issues?

My main issue has just been feeling a lot more 'crashed'.

outdamnspot

This has a pretty good explanation of the oxalate issue.

http://www.beyondmthfr.com/oxalates-and-mthfr-understanding-the-gut-kidney-axis/

There are a lot of things that can make you feel "crashed." Not sure you've given enough info here.

Re fats, its good to have a variety of gays in your diet, from short to ling chains, nitvyoo kuch of any one type.

Hmm, I struggle with a lot of environmental stress at home, and often feel stuck in a 'low cortisol' state .. i.e. crash easily, have excessive adrenaline etc. I find Vitamin C very helpful, but it hasn't been working lately; it could just be tolerance, I guess, which has occurred before, but this crashed state has been quite prolonged (for me) and I am a lot weaker and less tolerant of activity, with palpitations and shortness of breath from very minor activity. Nothing else has changed, aside from the weather (it's summer here, though I was tolerating the heat without issue a few weeks ago). I'm going to see a doctor this week, though have never had much luck with that.

Learner1

Eek! Sorry for the typos in my last post!

It seems like you need a comprehensive analysis of what's going on. My expetience has been that no single supplement (no matter how good it is) is going to fix you. Its getting a good picture of what's the matter with you and having a treatment plan that attacks it.

In addition to the oxalate issue, do you have any infections or POTS? And have you had a 24 hour saliva cortisol test or other hormone testing?

Hopeful1976

I can't eat chia - gives me symptoms like electrolyte imbalance - dizziness, fatigue, nausea - crash type feelings...I avoid it now x

outdamnspot

I can't eat chia - gives me symptoms like electrolyte imbalance - dizziness, fatigue, nausea - crash type feelings...I avoid it now x

interesting! I cut out the spinach and that helped a little, though still feeling bad. All the symptoms you list have been worse for me lately. any guess why chia does that?

outdamnspot

Eek! Sorry for the typos in my last post!

It seems like you need a comprehensive analysis of what's going on. My expetience has been that no single supplement (no matter how good it is) is going to fix you. Its getting a good picture of what's the matter with you and having a treatment plan that attacks it.

In addition to the oxalate issue, do you have any infections or POTS? And have you had a 24 hour saliva cortisol test or other hormone testing?

I tested negative for most standard infections (mycoplasma etc.), though I do have POTS. My cortisol test was on the low-ish side about 2 years ago, but I'm a lot worse subjectively now (I could still leave the house back then).

Unfortunately, I can't seem to tolerate any supplements so it's impossible to make progress. I'm going to a doctor next week to see if I can get more testing done.

Hopeful1976

interesting! I cut out the spinach and that helped a little, though still feeling bad. All the symptoms you list have been worse for me lately. any guess why chia does that?
I have a feeling it's either something to do with high magnesium within it (I can't tolerate magnesium at all!) or it could be do with the water that Chia seeds absorb... causing a mild dehydration perhaps (and with all the stuff about sticky blood re Ron Davis, this may link up). Only my ideas though - what I do know is i can't eat them!).

outdamnspot

I have a feeling it's either something to do with high magnesium within it (I can't tolerate magnesium at all!) or it could be do with the water that Chia seeds absorb... causing a mild dehydration perhaps (and with all the stuff about sticky blood re Ron Davis, this may link up). Only my ideas though - what I do know is i can't eat them!).

ah that makes sense; I kept thinking they were benign because they're a food, but I can't tolerate magnesium at all either, so that's plausible

Learner1

I tested negative for most standard infections (mycoplasma etc.), though I do have POTS. My cortisol test was on the low-ish side about 2 years ago, but I'm a lot worse subjectively now (I could still leave the house back then).

Unfortunately, I can't seem to tolerate any supplements so it's impossible to make progress. I'm going to a doctor next week to see if I can get more testing done.
Seeing a good functional medicine doctor would be useful. Can you try to do a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval? It may shed some light on your oxalate issue and why you're stuck.

You may find that taking a small amount if hydrocortisone helps.