The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Two food questions

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by outdamnspot, Jan 15, 2018.

1. outdamnspot

outdamnspot Senior Member

Been feeling a lot worse lately and was trying to rule variables out. I've read people talk about Oxalates here, but don't have the energy to comprehend it. How would we know if we have an issue? I've read people mention pain as a symptom; I have ~1 cup of spinach in a smoothie each day, and tend to feel more clear-headed/less-inflamed if anything. I also take 3-4g of Vit C at night.

The other thing I do daily is drink 3-4 tablespoons of chia seeds soaked in water (forming a kind of 'gel'). I wasn't sure if excessive Omega 3 consumption could be causing issues?

My main issue has just been feeling a lot more 'crashed'.

2. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
  3. outdamnspot

Hmm, I struggle with a lot of environmental stress at home, and often feel stuck in a 'low cortisol' state .. i.e. crash easily, have excessive adrenaline etc. I find Vitamin C very helpful, but it hasn't been working lately; it could just be tolerance, I guess, which has occurred before, but this crashed state has been quite prolonged (for me) and I am a lot weaker and less tolerant of activity, with palpitations and shortness of breath from very minor activity. Nothing else has changed, aside from the weather (it's summer here, though I was tolerating the heat without issue a few weeks ago). I'm going to see a doctor this week, though have never had much luck with that.

4. Learner1

Pacific Northwest
    Eek! Sorry for the typos in my last post!

It seems like you need a comprehensive analysis of what's going on. My expetience has been that no single supplement (no matter how good it is) is going to fix you. Its getting a good picture of what's the matter with you and having a treatment plan that attacks it.

In addition to the oxalate issue, do you have any infections or POTS? And have you had a 24 hour saliva cortisol test or other hormone testing?

5. Vicki Cole

Vicki Cole Senior Member

U.k
    I can't eat chia - gives me symptoms like electrolyte imbalance - dizziness, fatigue, nausea - crash type feelings...I avoid it now x

6. outdamnspot

interesting! I cut out the spinach and that helped a little, though still feeling bad. All the symptoms you list have been worse for me lately. any guess why chia does that?

7. outdamnspot

I tested negative for most standard infections (mycoplasma etc.), though I do have POTS. My cortisol test was on the low-ish side about 2 years ago, but I'm a lot worse subjectively now (I could still leave the house back then).

Unfortunately, I can't seem to tolerate any supplements so it's impossible to make progress. I'm going to a doctor next week to see if I can get more testing done.

8. Vicki Cole

Vicki Cole Senior Member

U.k
    I have a feeling it's either something to do with high magnesium within it (I can't tolerate magnesium at all!) or it could be do with the water that Chia seeds absorb... causing a mild dehydration perhaps (and with all the stuff about sticky blood re Ron Davis, this may link up). Only my ideas though - what I do know is i can't eat them!).

9. outdamnspot

ah that makes sense; I kept thinking they were benign because they're a food, but I can't tolerate magnesium at all either, so that's plausible

Vicki Cole likes this.
  10. andyguitar

andyguitar Senior Member

South east England
    Dont you get sleeping problems from taking that much vit C at night?

11. Learner1

Pacific Northwest
    Seeing a good functional medicine doctor would be useful. Can you try to do a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval? It may shed some light on your oxalate issue and why you're stuck.

You may find that taking a small amount if hydrocortisone helps.

12. outdamnspot

No, the time-release preparation is calming and helps me sleep.

andyguitar likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.