• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Twittering the IACFS/ME Conference Pt. I

Phoenix Rising Team submitted a new blog post:

Twittering the IACFS/ME Conference Pt. I

Posted by Cort Johnson
Quick hits from International ME/CFS Conference in Ottawa. Follow CortJohnson on Twitter tomorrow for more....

default_profile_6_normal.png

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFSME - over the past year 2 NIH CFS heads, Vivian Pinn the head of the Office of Women;s Health, CDC CFS Chief and Wanda Jones have left

19 minutes ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFSME - Mangan's retirement is a big loss to the #ME/CFS community. He showed commitment and initiative we hadn't seen before...

37 minutes ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFSME- name of the site to ME/CFS, engaged the patient community & headed up the CASA project is retiring Oct 31st due to family matters

38 minutes ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFSME - Dennis Mangan, who revitalized and enlarged the CFS Working Group at NIH, produced the State of Knowledge Workshop, changed the.

40 minutes ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFSME - DeMeirleir POSTER finds 63% of 108 patients receive noticeable improvement using #GcMaF, did best at reducing fatigue

6 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFSME - #CDC researcher Boneva believes heavy bleeding could lead to fibroids, endometriosis and eventually high rates of hysterectomies

6 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFSME - in CDC Boneva study half of #CFS patients had had hysterectomies, early menopause...she believes due to chronic heavy bleeding

6 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFSME- #CDC funded two contracts - one with Medscape - a popular CME choice...this means CDC courses will probably get more traffic.....

6 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFSME - #Jason study found highest levels of fatigue in Latino males. Unger notes that males tend to seek care later = higher fatigue

6 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFSME- CDC chief Unger reports doctors making #CFSdiagnosis are more likely to treat it seriously; need to increase diagnostic know how

6 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFSME - CFS CDC chief Unger reports only 37% of docs have made a CFS diagnosis and only 28% felt they were competent to diagnose it

6 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFSME - #EBV researchers Lerner and Glazer now working together; believe they have documented key aspect of EBV infection in #CFS

7 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFSME - #Broderick gene expression results validate his earlier cytokine research; finds high rate - immune/ metabolic gene abnormalities

7 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFSME - #Broderick's next challenge is to directly measure the chemicals his gene expression studies are finding in the body

7 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFSME - #CAA researcher Broderick thinks he may have found 3 biomarkers for CFS - one involves cytokines, one gene expression and ? :(

7 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFSME - #CDC researcher Boneva believes estrogen/progesterone abnormalities could explain increased female prevalence in #CFS

7 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFSME - #CDC researcher finds amazingly increased gynecological abnormalities in #CFS including heavy bleeding, hysterectomies

7 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFSME - Katz #NK study was done on adolescents who hadn't had #CFS long; they speculate NK cell problems show up later in the illness

9 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

@

@XMRV_GA - I Should use IACFSME - OK (new at this...it took 21 hours to get to me for some reason....:) Will do

9 hours ago

»

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - RIch #Konynenburg asks about glutathione deficiency, Falkenburg at #CDC says she's interested and will talk with him at a break

10 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - Katz NK study finds increased NK cell functioning in #CFS...big discussion follows, #Klimas warns about using different methods

10 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - now Falkenburg from #CDC is talking about NK cells in #CFS - this is the natural killer cell conference

10 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - #Klimas is aglow over cytotoxic T cell findings because they are huge players in research - will underscore - pathogen findings

10 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - #Klimas calls Brenus findings 'very important' because it find reduced cytotoxic T cell functioning - first time ever in #CFS

10 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME- Nancy #Klimas says she would steal #Brenu - young Australian researcher in a minute if she could........

10 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME- #Brenu from Australia gives two talks back to back.. first shows reduced killing ability of cytotoxic NK and T (?) cells in #CFS

10 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - #Snell says they are only ones who can measure 'fatigue'- fatigue is reduced efficiency in ability to do work...

11 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - #Snell pushing aerobic capacity testing hard in #CFS. Says its possible for everyone to do this...we have undergrads doing it

11 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - #Snell shows 6 min/test PACE #CFS patients at end of trial according to NYork Heart Association figures were severely disabled

11 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - #Snell bashes 6 minute walk tests, its main claim to fame is predicting how long a heart patient is going to live, not good test

11 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - room is about full now :). Snell is talking, Emphasizes they have a standardized approach...(would that rest of the field did)

12 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

CortJohnson Cort Johnson #IACFS/ME - #Exercise physi describes on individual who was at anerobic threshold at 92 heart rate day2 - at rest

12 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

##IACFS/ME - New York exercise physiologist validates Pacific Fatigue labs work! Finds same level of vo2 max reduction after exercise - day2

12 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

##IACFS/ME - room is about 3/4's full - good turnout! Now looking at Exercise and ME/CFS

12 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - Marly Silverman reports that during her talk with #Unger that she loved the idea of neuroendocrineimmune illness

12 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - #Unger says focus on looking at symptoms and test results (illness domains) and use them to break the disorder up into subsets

12 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - #Unger proposes that CFS is too heterogeneous to have a single cause. Suggests looking at 'illness domains' rather than defin's

12 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME -#Jason - lots of symptoms are what doomed Holmes criteria. Jason's ME criteria had 4 parameters and required acute onset

12 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - #Jason suggests using more symptoms (eg ICC) runs the danger of bringing in people with pscyh diagnoses (eg Holmes criteria)

12 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - Friedman in introducing Dr. #Unger from #CDCaccuses CDC of creating a rift in CFS community with introduction- Empiric criteria

13 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - #Jason study concludes CCC criteria selects for cardinal symptoms of #CFS while #Empiric criteria does not

13 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - #Jason study conclusion - Empiric criteria not as effective at differentiating CFS from non CFS cases as the #CCCcriteria

13 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - #Jason study finds Empiric criteria identified 75% of people with #CFS and CCC identified 87% of people with CFS

13 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - #Jason finds no difference in # of psych diagnoses in ME vs Fukuda Criteria..(Jason did not have #ICC criteria available to use)

13 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - #Jason study finds #ME criteria (his own) and #CCCcriteria select for more severely ill patients than #Fukuda criteria

13 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME Conf begins -8 am (yawn) with room probably 60% full - a good turnout for Case Definitions..Friedman calls it most important topic

13 hours ago

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - #Vitamin D should be taken with fatty snack in CFS - Klimas applauds that idea

23 Sep

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - #Bateman does supplement patients with Vit D but hoped for more results......Lapp really low Vit D results in swelling and pain

23 Sep

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - Valling reports high #Vit D deficiency in Australia in #CFS not sure why but may not be getting enough sun....

23 Sep

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - #Vallings reports that women in menopause in #CFStend to have reduction in symptoms (I think!)

23 Sep

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - #Lapp reports that ME/CFS patients have m shaped activity curve....low in the AM and pickup in PM it then drops - another pickup

23 Sep

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - who's here? Marly Silverman, Bob Miller, Jon Cohen (Science mag).....

23 Sep

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - who's here? James Baraniuk, Hilary Johnson, Staci Stevens, Chris Snell, Eleanor Stein, Alison Bested, Elizabeth Unger......

23 Sep

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - who's here right now? Whiting, Lerner, Montoya, Chia. Who's not? Bell, no one from the CAA yet (McCleary, Vernon)....

23 Sep

CortJohnson Cort Johnson

#IACFS/ME - who's here? Annette #Whittemore, Dan Peterson, Scott Carlson, Paul #Cheney, Nancy Klimas, Paul Lapp, Byron Hyde., Komaroff....

23 Sep

Continue reading the Original Blog Post