• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treatments to Prevent Herpes Flares?

alice111

Hi all,

I would like to ask a question about chronic herpes flares for a family member who does not have M.E.

However, her symptoms that come with the 5 days or so around the flare are very M.E – ish which I find very interesting.. fatigue, brain fog, achyness, anxiety..

Also interesting is that she has had no problem with the Herpes until recently with Menopause – which makes me think that there is some sort of hormonal immune imbalance?

Anyway, she gets these flares at least once a month and we have not been able to find anything that can eliminate this. She avoids all foods high in arginine, and supplementing with lysine does not seem to help.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with Herpes, and anything that has helped them?

Thanks!

ahmo

I got my herpes under control with olive leaf extract. When the outbreaks were at their worst I used a rx, don't remember what. It seemed to work, but within 2 weeks I had my predictable histamine response to pharma. Then I found olive leaf extract, which worked at least as well. I only have rare recurrences now. My sense is that buying loose olive leaf is the same as what's sold in capsules as olive leaf extract, though you might research further.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Famvir or ayclcovir stopped my herpes outbreaks which is a benefit of treating my viruses. Oh and I first got herpes in college in 1973. This is the first time I've had no problems.

JAM

Jill
Olive Leaf Extract. Barlean's is my preferred brand. It isn't very expensive, and my guess is the recommended dose would be enough for her.

Lysine is amazing, and I recently found out that vitamin C serum stops the outbreaks in their tracks. Lots of vitamin C helps, as well...