• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treatments overview

mellster

Marco
Helene, I was mostly in bed for a couple of weeks in April and otherwise very limited in my daily activities for months. Luckily I had taken a few weeks of parental leave when it happened so I had some time to recover before returning to work. So I think my scale from worst to best ranges from 55% (April) to 85% (now). I have added a few new supplements - packets of Thymus protein, undenatured whey protein (glutathione precursor) and equilibrant (new form of oxymatrine). One thing I think that helps is if you are not overly sensitive to new drugs/supplements and have the will to try at least everything once - cause it seems to be trial and error. I found most help on the immune-modulator and supplement side. cheers

ramakentesh

Wouldnt licorice be better described as an adaptogen or cardiotonic, since it increases blood pressure, decreases endothelial nitric oxide levels and acts to retain blood volume and salt.?

mellster

Marco
I don't know how much liquorice really affects blood pressure, but I would wager that the advantages outweigh the small rise in bp when consumed modestly. But I think there are specialized versions that have the compound removed that is deemed to be responsible for that - I think that special liquorice is called DGL.

mellster

Marco
Update on the treatments: I no longer take a multitude of supplements, but still some of those mentioned for maintenance. I also started the MAF314 yoghurt and after a few startup symptoms I feel really good on it - the only lasting side effect is smelly gas, but that is less my problem then a problem of those in my vicinity ;) I think this is also related to a change in diet to include as many fermented foods as possible and I want to emphasize how much better I feel since. I am not just talking about standard industrial fermentation which is pretty weak and often "faked", but making your own yoghurt/kefir or buying the freshest, least processed (that means with variable taste from batch to batch), organic kefir, yoghurt, or, my newest favorites, Kim-chee and Sauerkraut. There is an organic Kim-chee made by "Rejuvenative foods" which you can get at whole foods and other organic stores, they also make sauerkraut and raw salads, one glass is around $10, so a bit pricey, but it is utterly amazing how good it feels on the stomach no matter how much I eat and you can taste the freshness of that stuff. I may get a bit bloating and gas which is normal for cabbage-rich foods, but overall I feel so much better when eating this than eating standard processed food. I currently have little to no symptoms and my gut is in its best shape since almost 3 years and I plan on eating as much "real" fermented foods as possible and continue to make my own yoghurt/kefir even after the MAF has been used. I am also fan of fresh (better liquid than powder) colostrum which is a great addition to fermenting milk into yoghurt/kefir. Hope this helps some and they will try it out as well. cheers