• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treatment plan advise- hetero 1298c, mtr, mtrr, bhmt2

Okay so I got a 23andme finally and here are the results.
MTHFR C677T (-/-)
MTHFR A1298C (+/-)
MTR A2756G (+/-)
MTRR A66G (+/-)
MTHFS (+/+)
MTHFD1 (+/+)

VDR BSM (+/-)
VDR TAQ (+/-)

BHMT (+/-)
BHMT-02 (+/-)

FUT2 (+/+)

CBS C699T (-/-)

COMT V158M (-/-)
COMT H62H (-/-)
COMT P199P (-/-)
COMT rs6269 (+/+)

NOS2 (+/-)
ACE (+/-)

CYP1A2 (+/-)
CYP1B1 (+/+)
NAT2 (+/-)

Symptoms:
Fatigue, bad anxiety, brain fog, sibo, candida, depression, hair loss, hashi hypothyroid, lyme

And here is my htma
rYnl6
(No chelating agents used)
nEOz7GF.jpg

@Dog Person i'd really appreciate it if you gave it a look over

Can anyone help me figure out what to take? I've been researching for weeks now after the tests and still can't figure it out.

In the past I had such a bad reaction to methyl b12 and methyl folate. Major worsening of anxiety and depression.

My homocysteine was way out of range high on my recent blood test. Folate and b12 high end of range.

Looking for some feedback on my treatment plan based on my mutations.

For suox
Started molybdenum 75mcg, benfotiamine (vitamin b1) 50mg, ornithine 500mg, strontium 300mg(weekly)

For sod2
Manganese chelate 4mg

For mtr/mtrr
Lithium 5mcg (extremely low on htma)
Bee pollen
Beef liver capsules

For short route support (BHMT)
1500mg betaine hcl 3x a day (each meal) i have low stomach acid

Misc
Magnesium glycinate 400mg
Calcium d glucarate 1000mg
Boron 750mcg

I did this for a month

Now I just started adenosyl b12 at 150mcg a week ago.

I'm thinking next step is to add some hydroxycobalamin but unsure if that is wise due to my mtr and mtrr snps. But don't want to use methyl b12 again after going through hell using it years ago.

Does this all look good? Any changes I should make? Thank you

Any and all help would be appreciated

Last edited:

Eastman

@Rayski2

Your homocysteine being high despite folate and B12 being at the high end of the range suggests the possibility that the latter nutrients are not being taken up by cells. You might want to consider increasing your vitamin B1/thiamine intake, based on the following article by Dr Derrick Lonsdale, Are High Folate and Vitamin B12 Linked to Low Thiamine in Autism and Other Disorders?

Excerpt:
Many years ago I was confronted by the case of a six-year-old child... I had a blood test performed that showed that he was vitamin B1 deficient. But there was another strange association. Folate, a B vitamin and vitamin B12, also a B vitamin, both had very high concentrations in the blood...

... I treated the child with megadoses of thiamine (vitamin B1) and sent him home. To my great surprise, not only did his health improve drastically, his feverish episodes ceased and the repeat of the blood tests showed that the levels of folate and vitamin B12 had fallen into the normal range.

Fatigue, anxiety, confusion, depression and low stomach acid are all possible symptoms of vitamin B1 deficiency.

B1 works with many other B vitamins, especially B2 and B3, as well as magnesium.

Edit: I should add that I think there is a possibility that methylation treatment can induce a B1 deficiency. See here and here.

Last edited:

Learner1

Were these tests provoked with a chelating agent or unprovoked?

It looks like you have significant arsenic toxicity. If you stir it up with Phase I detox without having Phase II working properly, you could have horrible symptoms. This happened to me and I had headaches, nausea, unhappy intestines, and increased fatigue.

This could be why you reacted badly to B12.

Your genes are only part of it, and even so, you've shared only some of the genes involved in handling toxins, so advising based on these wouldn't be helpful.

What you've encountered in your environment is more important. I'd hope whoever was savvy enough to run those tests could also run a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval so you didn't have to guess about your nutrient status.

From what you've shared, these are things I'd guess you'd want to do.
  1. Stop more arsenic from getting into you. Red wine, rice, non-organic chicken, and pressure treated wood are sources. So are most magnesium supplements, so quiz the manufacturer if you take one. And look into your water supply.
  2. Ensure you're eating penty of fiber, drinking lots of water, and have a binder to bind the arsenic.
  3. Support transsulfuration by increasing B1 (I take 500mg... so you can take s lot more than the DV of it) and molybdenum if you need it.
  4. Support glutathione production with B6, NAC, glutamine, and glycine, if needed.
  5. Support the methionine cycle with B6, B2, TMG, and B12, as well as magnesium and potassium, and possibly methionine.
  6. Support the folate cycle with 5-MTHF.
Then you should discuss chelation with your doctor. This would involve using a chelating agent appropriate for mercury, supplementing with minerals as you can lose good minerals during the chelation process, and keeping the entire methylation process working to move the arsenic out of your system.

I also needed a lot of I also needed a lot of curcumin, which is a broad-spectrum Phase II detoxer, to be able to flush the arsenic completely out of my system.

if you follow these steps if you follow these steps under a doctor's supervision, you will likely find that methyl B12 doesn't bother you anymore.

caledonia

If you interpret the hair test using Cutler's counting rules, you do meet some of the rules for disordered mineral transport, which means it's highly likely you have mercury toxicity (despite mercury showing low at the top).

The arsenic at the top is supposed to be accurate.

There is more that can be pulled out of the test, but I don't know it off the top of my head. Such as adrenal issues, if you're a fast or slow metabolizer, etc.

I have a link to Cutler's info in my signature link. I suggest getting the test interpreted by the Frequent Dose Chelation Yahoo group - it's free, and much easier than buying the book and trying to figure it out yourself.

All of your symptoms match for metal toxicity, possibly including Lyme. It depends on which test you got showing Lyme. At any rate, if your treatment for Lyme is not working, getting the metals out can help.

Just curious - do you have any issues with chemical sensitivities?

=-=-=--=

You might enjoy Ben Lynch's new book called "Dirty Genes", which explains how epigenetics affect genetic expression. There are 7 genes he considers the most important. This is based on 2 years of research of the scientific literature.

I have links to the book and also some videos he did covering each gene.

Note that toxic metals will make certain genes "dirty" directly, and probably all of them indirectly.

Mercury inhibits the methylation cycle and the citric acid energy cycle. Arsenic inhibits SUOX (which can cause issues with the transsulfuration pathway), and the citric acid cycle.

The standard B12 test is not that reliable. A high result can mean it's high or low. A low result does mean it's low. What matters is what's getting into the cells. Same with folate testing I think.

I also suggest testing vitamin D levels.

=-=-=--=

Arsenic sources - chicken is now safe. They took arsenic out of the chicken feed a few years ago. However, it has been present since 1949, chances are, we all have arsenic to one degree or another. (in the US).

Rice can still be an issue, especially brown rice, and rice from the southern US (where they used lead arsenate for a pesticide or herbicide for decades).

I didn't know about arsenic in magnesium supps - checking with my manufacturer! Thanks @Learner1

Learner1

Look at LabDoor.com on the magnesium.

My daughter, who is allergic to rice, picked up arsenic poisoning her first year at College in Vermont. The town and college water were clean, she ain't no rice no red wine and we traced it to the chicken. Did they change it in the last 2 years?

JES

The hair profile looks excellent (apart from the arsenic). When I did mine years ago, I had several elements on red. The yellow ones, don't even be concerned about those, it all falls within normal variation. The one element you had out of range, lithium, is also commonly extremely low on doctor's data reports, both on mine and the other reports I have seen online, so that's not anything to be concerned about either.

Learner1

Low lithium can affect mood and thyroid.

Also, my doctors have told me that if you have one metal really high, the others can be falsely low, and it panned out over time, as I got rid of the high one, the ones that had looked fine started to show up.

Eastman, I'm using benfotiamine 50mg and thiamine 12.5mg daily but afraid to raise it as from my reading on this site it seems that raising it too high will drive up the need for methylfolate (Which I'm also afraid to try again) and potassium. I'm taking 400mg of magnesium glycinate a day also.

What dose of B1 would you personally recommend? I'm also looking into starting some low dose b2.

@Rayski2

Your homocysteine being high despite folate and B12 being at the high end of the range suggests the possibility that the latter nutrients are not being taken up by cells. You might want to consider increasing your vitamin B1/thiamine intake, based on the following article by Dr Derrick Lonsdale, Are High Folate and Vitamin B12 Linked to Low Thiamine in Autism and Other Disorders?

Excerpt:

Fatigue, anxiety, confusion, depression and low stomach acid are all possible symptoms of vitamin B1 deficiency.

B1 works with many other B vitamins, especially B2 and B3, as well as magnesium.

Edit: I should add that I think there is a possibility that methylation treatment can induce a B1 deficiency. See here and here.

Hi Learner1,
The tests were not provoked with a chelating agent.

The arsenic toxicity is from significant consumption of white rice, as my dietary choices are extremely limited due to lyme disease, hashimotos, and salicylate sensitivity, So no gluten, corn, sugar, dairy, salicylates (most veggies and fruit)

Re: Phase I and Phase II detox, what would you recommend to support Phase II? AFAIK Phase II requires sulfur which I can't tolerate due to BHMT-02 snp and SUOX. I did start taking TUDCA (Bile salt) to support my liver.
Also I thought that supporting methylation would increase phase II via glutathione? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I edited in more gene snps on my original post including my detox snps which will hopefully be helpful for you to see.

I ran all the tests myself through online labs as I cannot afford a doctor.

As for arsenic I was going to try to use malic acid 2 grams per day to remove it through urine.

Curcumin and turmeric are unfortuneately very high in salicylates and I react badly to them.

Thank you for all the info so far

(I will get back to Caledonia and everyone else in a bit I only had a few minutes to type up these replies quickly.

Were these tests provoked with a chelating agent or unprovoked?

It looks like you have significant arsenic toxicity. If you stir it up with Phase I detox without having Phase II working properly, you could have horrible symptoms. This happened to me and I had headaches, nausea, unhappy intestines, and increased fatigue.

This could be why you reacted badly to B12.

Your genes are only part of it, and even so, you've shared only some of the genes involved in handling toxins, so advising based on these wouldn't be helpful.

What you've encountered in your environment is more important. I'd hope whoever was savvy enough to run those tests could also run a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval so you didn't have to guess about your nutrient status.

From what you've shared, these are things I'd guess you'd want to do.
  1. Stop more arsenic from getting into you. Red wine, rice, non-organic chicken, and pressure treated wood are sources. So are most magnesium supplements, so quiz the manufacturer if you take one. And look into your water supply.
  2. Ensure you're eating penty of fiber, drinking lots of water, and have a binder to bind the arsenic.
  3. Support transsulfuration by increasing B1 (I take 500mg... so you can take s lot more than the DV of it) and molybdenum if you need it.
  4. Support glutathione production with B6, NAC, glutamine, and glycine, if needed.
  5. Support the methionine cycle with B6, B2, TMG, and B12, as well as magnesium and potassium, and possibly methionine.
  6. Support the folate cycle with 5-MTHF.
Then you should discuss chelation with your doctor. This would involve using a chelating agent appropriate for mercury, supplementing with minerals as you can lose good minerals during the chelation process, and keeping the entire methylation process working to move the arsenic out of your system.

I also needed a lot of I also needed a lot of curcumin, which is a broad-spectrum Phase II detoxer, to be able to flush the arsenic completely out of my system.

if you follow these steps if you follow these steps under a doctor's supervision, you will likely find that methyl B12 doesn't bother you anymore.

Learner1

Eastman, I'm using benfotiamine 50mg and thiamine 12.5mg daily but afraid to raise it as from my reading on this site it seems that raising it too high will drive up the need for methylfolate (Which I'm also afraid to try again) and potassium. I'm taking 400mg of magnesium glycinate a day also.
B1 and molybdenum are needed to make the transsulfuration pathway work to get stuff like arsenic and salicylates out of you.
What dose of B1 would you personally recommend? I'm also looking into starting some low dose b2.
Lab testing will tell you, but as an example, I'm taking about 500mg benfotiamine and 250mg riboflavin-5-phosphate daily, plus what I get in high potency B complex shots 3 days a week.

You might benefit from a stronger, personalized methylation protocol based on hood lab testing.
Hi Learner1,
The tests were not provoked with a chelating agent.

The arsenic toxicity is from significant consumption of white rice, as my dietary choices are extremely limited due to lyme disease, hashimotos, and salicylate sensitivity, So no gluten, corn, sugar, dairy, salicylates (most veggies and fruit)
Organic rice from California doesn't have arsenic.
Re: Phase I and Phase II detox, what would you recommend to support Phase II? AFAIK Phase II requires sulfur which I can't tolerate due to BHMT-02 snp and SUOX. I did start taking TUDCA (Bile salt) to support my liver.

Also I thought that supporting methylation would increase phase II via glutathione? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I edited in more gene snps on my original post including my detox snps which will hopefully be helpful for you to see.
Methylation will increase glutathione.

I have a bunch of those SNPs and more and a tendency to hang on to sulfur, too. The answer is not to shy away from everything. The answer is to fix the leaky gut, and feed the biochemical pathways to metabolize and excrete stuff so its not backing up and making you miserable.

Get your gut working properly. There s plant of advice on this do I won't him into detail, but good probiotics plus insoluble fibers can go far. A DNA stool test can identify parasites, fungi, and NAD bacteria, and lack of good bacteria. A SIBO breath test can be useful, too.

Then, eating fiber and drinking water, and using binders, like activated charcoal or Quicksilver's universal binder will help toxins exit. You also need sufficient B1 and molybdenum for transsulfuration.

Then, you need to make and recycle glutathione, which requires B6, glycine, NAC, and glutamine.

And your methionine cycle must work. You need adequate MB12, plus B6, B2, TMG, magnesium, and possibly potassium or methionine. I take a lot of MB12, and a lot of B6 and B2, with supportive smounts of the rest.

Once that's all going, then you add 5-MTHF.
I ran all the tests myself through online labs as I cannot afford a doctor.
I know its tough, but finding a knowledgeable doctor to work you through all of this is essential. You have a complex situation and it needs to be untangled step by step. I've learned a lot over the past 10 years by doing all of this, but I consult an excellent docyor6 often and its been a long road to get better.

If you can't, at least get a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval FMV with Amino Acids done - its invaluable for working out a custom protocol.
As for arsenic I was going to try to use malic acid 2 grams per day to remove it through urine.
I chelated arsenic under a doctors supervision with DMSA, PolyMVA, a solid methylation protocol and curcumin. I haven't seen malic acid used alone.
Curcumin and turmeric are unfortuneately very high in salicylates and I react badly to them.
Sounds like you have a big gut problem you need to fix, along with inadequate nutrients, which is causing all of this.

Unless you're allergic to it, curcumin is an amazing Phase II detoxer... You must may be mobilizing too much arsenic and feel bad when that happens, which is s message you've got an arsenic problem and not that curcumin is bad (unless you're allergic to it).

From: http://ndnr.com/autoimmuneallergy-medicine/salicylate-sensitivity-the-other-food-intolerance/
Many people who are under chronic stress develop gut issues, such as yeast/bacterial overgrowth, or digestive diseases. This may lead to the development of salicylate and other intolerances, as a result of leaky gut. Low-salicylate- and salicylate–free diets, as well as diet regimens such as the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, may be useful. After eliminating the organisms that cause the dysbiosis, care must be taken to rebuild a healthy gut lining.

Certain amino acids, such as arginine, lysine, serine, glycine, alanine, choline, tyrosine, phenylalanine, tryptophan, carnitine, and taurine may be especially useful.

Some helpful nutrients which are likely to be salicylate-free include: Vitamins A, C (without bioflavonoids), E, D, B-complex, beta-carotene, B6, folate, and inositol hexanicotinate.

Foods such as sauerkraut are no-salicylate and contribute healthy short-chain fatty acids to the colonic environment.

Supplementation to support sulfation pathways in the body also should also improve tolerance.

This approach is something that should be considered if improvements are seen by eliminating the salicylate-rich foods.

Supportive substances include: glutathione, alpha-lipoic acid, N-acetylcysteine, and methylsulfonylmethane (MSM).
Thank you for all the info so far

(I will get back to Caledonia and everyone else in a bit I only had a few minutes to type up these replies quickly.
You're welcome!

Good luck to you, sounds like you have some big challenges ahead. But you are asking good questions!!

Eastman

Yes, thiamine has been said to increase methylfolate and potassium consumption. To me, that's good, as it means improved healing. You just have to monitor for signs of deficiency, especially for potassium, whose deficiency can be life-threatening.

This would be individual. I would start with something like what you are doing, then slowly increase dosage until test result/symptoms improve.

The following article has some suggestions to balance phase 1 and 2 liver detox:

Foods and Supplements to Balance Phase 1 and Phase 2 Liver Detoxification

Hi Caledonia,
Thank you for the pointers on the HTMA. The only thing I knew was that I had the "Fast four" pattern of a fast oxidizer. I'll post it in that group you recommended.

I'm not sure which test I had done for lyme, it wasnt the IGENEX just the standard from a doctor.

Yes I have huge issues with chemical sensitivities. One whiff of cigarette smoke, perfume, chemicals, cleaners, etc. and my sinuses swell up for hours and I get brain fog and a headache and bad mood.

I'll buy that book as soon as I can too.

From what you've said, everything is coming down to getting the heavy metals out. Would this be done before, during, or after working on methylation?

My vitamin D was on the low end of the range only 6 months after doing 250,000iu a week for four weeks which had me at 70ng/dl on my blood test for a short period

If you interpret the hair test using Cutler's counting rules, you do meet some of the rules for disordered mineral transport, which means it's highly likely you have mercury toxicity (despite mercury showing low at the top).

The arsenic at the top is supposed to be accurate.

There is more that can be pulled out of the test, but I don't know it off the top of my head. Such as adrenal issues, if you're a fast or slow metabolizer, etc.

I have a link to Cutler's info in my signature link. I suggest getting the test interpreted by the Frequent Dose Chelation Yahoo group - it's free, and much easier than buying the book and trying to figure it out yourself.

All of your symptoms match for metal toxicity, possibly including Lyme. It depends on which test you got showing Lyme. At any rate, if your treatment for Lyme is not working, getting the metals out can help.

Just curious - do you have any issues with chemical sensitivities?

=-=-=--=

You might enjoy Ben Lynch's new book called "Dirty Genes", which explains how epigenetics affect genetic expression. There are 7 genes he considers the most important. This is based on 2 years of research of the scientific literature.

I have links to the book and also some videos he did covering each gene.

Note that toxic metals will make certain genes "dirty" directly, and probably all of them indirectly.

Mercury inhibits the methylation cycle and the citric acid energy cycle. Arsenic inhibits SUOX (which can cause issues with the transsulfuration pathway), and the citric acid cycle.

The standard B12 test is not that reliable. A high result can mean it's high or low. A low result does mean it's low. What matters is what's getting into the cells. Same with folate testing I think.

I also suggest testing vitamin D levels.

@Learner1

Learner1

From what you've said, everything is coming down to getting the heavy metals out. Would this be done before, during, or after working on methylation?
You need to get your elimination working first, so you can get rid of what you mobilize, or it will just get redeposited in your body (and hopefully, not in your brain).

Then, get methylation ramped up. Methylation is part of Phase II detox. If you mobilize toxins in Phase I, they turn into intermediate metabolites, which can be more toxic than they were prior to Phase I.

This happened to me with arsenic, which got mobilized well in Phase I, but then, because I'm a lousy Phase II detoxer, it got stuck, and gave me symptoms of acute arsenic poisoning, including the arsenic rash. And this was under an excellent doctor's supervision - arsenic hadn't shown up on my prevuous testing, so it was a surprise, and what I was on wasn't robust enough to deal with it.

Slowing down Phase I, and bumping up methylation nutrients, glutathione, molybdenum, B1, and curcumin got it back into balance, and I was able to get through the protocol.

Replenishing trace minerals is important, too.

Read all you can about it, and get some expert advice before getting in over your head. You can damage your kidneys and liver, and get metals into your brain rather than just your fat cells, so before you learn the hard way, educate yourself fully.

Learner1

One other thing. Arsenic inhibits ATP production, so it can lay you flat. Then, it's pretty hard to think your way out of your problem. I collapsed more thsn once in the doctor's lobby floor before we got the protocol right.

So, if you're doing it on your own, best to think your way through all the ins and outs, first.

caledonia

If I had to do it over, this is what I would suggest:

First get on the Cutler Core Four supplements (magnesium, zinc, vitamin C, vitamin E).

Then some phase 1 and phase 2 support such as milk thistle. The goal is to slow phase 1 which is running too fast, and speed up phase 2 which is running to slow.

Vitamin C helps recycle glutathione and does help my MCS as does the milk thistle. There are other things you can try, and Cutler has a list.

Then you can give methylation supps a try, but it's not required to chelate. It can be tricky getting everything in balance. If you're having too much trouble, move on, and retry at a later date.

Note - I had trouble with sulfur which showed up as a stressed and anxious feeling when I added B vitamins. I ended up doing the Heartfixer CBS protocol for three months and that fixed the problem. There are several versions of this (Cutler has a version too, as does Ben Lynch). Basically you eliminate sulfur foods and supplements (I used Cutler's Free Thiol list), and add molybdenum to support SUOX.

Now that I know more, I believe the issue with CBS running fast is actually arsenic, which inhibits SUOX and throws the whole transsulfuration pathway out of whack. People can have CBS issues regardless of their CBS SNPs. There have been a lot of contentious discussions on here about that. :cautious:

Before you start chelating make sure if you've ever had silver/mercury amalgam fillings that those are all removed, and that there are no specks (you'll need to get bitewings done). They recommend lifting any crowns and checking for mercury under them too.

-I have been taking magnesium glycinate 400mg a day for about a month now and using rice bran oil for gamma-E. Still looking for a whole food vitamin C that is low salicylate because ascorbic acid lowers ceruloplasmin and I already have high iron and low copper issues I'm working on. Zinc I'm weary to take again since my copper is low and I get 30mg zinc a day from beef and chicken.

I really want to try milk thistle but two things are holding me back. The first being that it inhibits the androgen receptor and mimics estrogen. This worries me because I have been struggling with high estrogen low androgen issues already even with calcium d glucarate. Likely because of my CYP1A1 and CYP1B2 snps I have a hard time clearing estrogen.

The second being that milk thistle is high in sulfur, no? Which would be an issue with my SUOX. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I'm glad you mentioned doing a low thiol diet for CBS and SUOX as now I feel like I'm heading in the right direction, as I have been doing a zero sulfur low thiol diet. (Besides 1000mg taurine and 50mg benfotiamine) and using 75mcg a day molybdenum. I'd like to use more molybdenum but I'm trying to bring my copper levels up.

I'll get ahold of my dentist, but I'm in my 20's and don't think they were still using mercury at that time, all my fillings are opaque/clear and no crowns/root canals.

P.S. I also have FMN coming in today, I ordered it based on your experience you posted about with it. My 23andme didn't show any mao snps so I'm just going to try and see

If I had to do it over, this is what I would suggest:

First get on the Cutler Core Four supplements (magnesium, zinc, vitamin C, vitamin E).

Then some phase 1 and phase 2 support such as milk thistle. The goal is to slow phase 1 which is running too fast, and speed up phase 2 which is running to slow.

Vitamin C helps recycle glutathione and does help my MCS as does the milk thistle. There are other things you can try, and Cutler has a list.

Then you can give methylation supps a try, but it's not required to chelate. It can be tricky getting everything in balance. If you're having too much trouble, move on, and retry at a later date.

Note - I had trouble with sulfur which showed up as a stressed and anxious feeling when I added B vitamins. I ended up doing the Heartfixer CBS protocol for three months and that fixed the problem. There are several versions of this (Cutler has a version too, as does Ben Lynch). Basically you eliminate sulfur foods and supplements (I used Cutler's Free Thiol list), and add molybdenum to support SUOX.

Now that I know more, I believe the issue with CBS running fast is actually arsenic, which inhibits SUOX and throws the whole transsulfuration pathway out of whack. People can have CBS issues regardless of their CBS SNPs. There have been a lot of contentious discussions on here about that. :cautious:

Before you start chelating make sure if you've ever had silver/mercury amalgam fillings that those are all removed, and that there are no specks (you'll need to get bitewings done). They recommend lifting any crowns and checking for mercury under them too.

Last edited:
I had a lot of blood tests done this week. My b12 dropped from ~800 to 500pg/mL. Folate really dropped from 12 to 3.8ng/mL. BUT my homocysteine dropped from a whopping 18 to 10.4umol/L.
My copper was low. 61 (70-175mcg/dL)

I increased adenosyl b12 to 750mcg a day about two weeks before having bloods done.

Anyone know why my folate dropped so much?

I'm thinking the lithium let the b12 finally get into the cells, but unsure about to folate. Maybe the benfotiamine increasing mfolate need?

I'm not taking any folate supplements.

Someone told me that the betaine lowered the folate but didn't explain why.

Thank you all for all the advice so far it is really appreciated

JES

I'm no expert on B-vitamins, but I'm pretty sure those blood tests might not tell the whole story. Even a clear B12 deficiency could show up normal in the blood, problem is if it isn't being converted or utilized properly in the cells. I would rely more on the homocysteine level, which is elevated in B12 deficiency. So a drop would indicate that supplementation is having an effect for you.

Regarding folate, again I'm not an expert, but at least the conventional wisdom is to supplement with all classes of B-vitamins and that if you supplement only with a selected few, you might create a deficiency of the other.

Eastman

Anyone know why my folate dropped so much?

I'm thinking the lithium let the b12 finally get into the cells, but unsure about to folate. Maybe the benfotiamine increasing mfolate need?

The drop in folate after supplementation with B1 is consistent with Dr Derrick Lonsdale's observation (see my earlier post) and the suggestion that B1 increases folate consumption (see your earlier post and my post).

With your folate now having dropped, watching out for folate deficiency symptoms may be in order since you are already back on B12 supplementation.