• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treating Nerve Pain

acrosstheveil

I have a lot of symptoms of neuropathy such as tingling hands, arms, tinnitus, etc. I have tried a few meds for it but am looking to see if there may be an alternative. I can't tolerate lyrica or topomax. I can take gabapentin but prefer not to take it because I feel crazy when I stop taking it after a few days (I don't like to take addictive stuff every day if at all possible).

Are there any other medications out there? I'd like to stay away from the SSRIs.

Seven7

Seven
I am using Acetyl- L Cartinine 100mg with ALA 400mg (one pill comes all in it). It has taken care of everything). On the day to day all symptoms go away (no cure if I stop it comes back)

acrosstheveil

yea alcar and ala helps a tiny bit. but i'm still in a ton of pain right now. any other options besides opiates? i'm really struggling right now. my ears are ringing like crazy, my head feels like its on fire, lymph nodes swollen, and i feel like i'm going to jump out of my skin. wish i knew what was going on.

my doc said my thyroid was enlarged at my last appointment. very big. i wonder if I have cancer or some autoimmune disorder.

Last edited:

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
yea alcar and ala helps a tiny bit. but i'm still in a ton of pain right now. any other options besides opiates? i'm really struggling right now. my ears are ringing like crazy, my head feels like its on fire, lymph nodes swollen, and i feel like i'm going to jump out of my skin. wish i knew what was going on.

my doc said my thyroid was enlarged at my last appointment. very big. i wonder if I have cancer or some autoimmune disorder.

I have severe nerve pain, but it appears to be associated with my hands and feet feeling extremely cold, while my torso (or large muscle groups) seem to be in a rolling heat wave. My thyroid labs (3 months ago) were good. I'm Type 2 diabetic, but it is very well managed and has been for over a year. My endo thought it was diabetic peripheral neuropathy, but manual stimulation is negative and a recent "Sodium Channel Ion Scan" (????) came back perfect even though my feet turn dark purple while taking the 2 minute test. No PAD and ankle and wrist pulses are normal.

I however am under an inordinate amount of stress now and feel like that is playing into it, but I'm not sure how to analyze it as it appears to be vasoconstriction in the pre-capillary arterioles since capillaries can't constrict. I assume that the mechanism is activated by norepinephrine and/or epinephrine. Does plasma catecholamine's accurately measure this.

Anyway, I take Emerald Labs Conezymated B-Complex, ALCAR and ALA which has definitely taken the edge off of my nerve pain!

acrosstheveil

i think i may have an autoimmune thyroid disorder. I have seen three different doctors in the past several weeks and they all commented on how massively swollen my thyroid is.