• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Transdermal B12 oils

arewenearlythereyet

I guess if how the clothes are dried has an affect on allergens and line drying is worse, this assumes allergens stay outside and are only related to things you find outside as opposed to inside? Isn't dust mite faeces an allergen? Or mould spores (sorry I said it). If you have air conditioning in the house this may contain or worsen allergens? Outside drying might be better than inside?

I wonder whether drying in a machine is better than on a clothes horse indoors or outside on a line? Perhaps Greg can do a 3 way experiment? Control could be using a static freeze dryer in a positive pressure sterile lab? Think I will avoid suggesting this to Greg if he's in a bad mood ;)

Hi all,

Just to check in with my B12 oils experience in case anyone is checking this thread in future choosing wether to give them a go. Ive been taking the adeno/methyl mix for for nearly 2 months now. Before that I was taking 12mg B12 sublingual methyl / 3mg adeno . I have had some improvement in my fatigue symptoms over that time. Don't get me wrong I'm not "well" but I'm definitely doing better. It could be coincidence but my exhaustion levels had been pretty stable for months before that so I am prepared to say that I think the oils have helped above and beyond the sublinguals and they are certainly a lot more convenient to take! I still take the same amount of folate alongside (9000mcg / day).

I have only tried the b12 oils in various forms the past few weeks but have noticed the same as Gary since taking the methyl only in the early morning the past week. Normally I wake as though have been smashed by a truck. The past week I awake at 3am when terrible anxiety sets in (as have experienced for a long time) I apply the oil and not long after a wave of relaxation and calm take over. Next thing it is 6am and I get out of bed in a far better state than I have since my crash in 2001.

I have been taking b12ice too the past week and also have been on the cutler protocol the past yr. Since brought up in this thread I can personally confirm mercury redistribution as taught by Cutler, in 2015 I took high dose ala and not on regular 3hr scheduling - several months later I was sicker than ever had been and every symptom matched up to mercury poisoning. I experienced mental illness I didn't think possible and despite an aversion to meds was going to have myself hospitalized. So there was redistribution and delayed effect. I previously had 8 amalgams all were unsafely removed in 2009.

garyfritz

Sounds like you're on the right track, @Jamo77 !

I had a voracious need for b12. When I discovered the oils I finally got some relief from my crazy-making symptoms, but I was using 3 squirts per day! Any less and my symptoms came roaring back within a day.

Then I heard about the Cutler protocol. I started taking the Core Four (C, E, magnesium, zinc) and my b12 requirements dropped by half literally overnight. That made me think I was on the right track.

Over the past 6-7 months I've gradually been getting my amalgams removed. 7 of 9 are gone now - the last two are going to be nasty and expensive. (One tooth needs a crown, and I have a root canal with a gold crown that almost certainly has amalgam under it, and it's bothered me ever since I got it anyway. So it's getting replaced with an implant.)

But even with those still in there, I feel better. My symptoms are almost gone and I'm sleeping better. I can skip the b12 entirely for a day or two! It seems pretty clear that the mercury is a big factor. Will be exciting to see how I feel when I get all the amalgam out and start chelating!!

sb4

Can you just open up a capsule of methycobalamin or a b-complex cap and rub this on your skin with some water or skin cream and get it to absorb that way? Or is there something special about b12 oils?

arewenearlythereyet

Can you just open up a capsule of methycobalamin or a b-complex cap and rub this on your skin with some water or skin cream and get it to absorb that way? Or is there something special about b12 oils?
They have been developed to be more absorbable apparently. I don't know the exact details of the blendingand carrier oils, but I can say that using bluebonnet liquid b12 equivalent dose in moisturiser is not a patch on these by a long way.

Somewhere earlier in this thread ahmo has had success with her own transdermal diy b12 and whilst messier from memory it had similar potency to these oils.

Gary that is very interesting - seems to indicate varying levels of detox abilities regarding mercury. Since your body has removed a massive burden it seems a level of detoxification is now taking place even given the remaining amalgam. Others can remove mercury sources from their body but need to actively chelate the leached mercury out. Also seems to indicate mercury poisoning really stuffs up b12 transport and utilization.

@garyfritz can I ask what your average daily dosage is for the Cutler core 4. And what a tremendous breakthrough being able to forego supplemental b12 on some days.

garyfritz

@Jamo77, mercury does indeed stuff up b12 metabolism. That was one of about 7 clues that pointed toward mercury - I suspected / hoped that mercury was causing my huge appetite for b12. And so far that seems to be the case.

I've read that a healthy adult is supposed to be able to detox the mercury from about 6-7 amalgams. I had 8, plus probably some under my root canal crown. (Plus a likely poisoning event 5 years ago when a filling fell out. My worst symptoms started at that time.) I'm guessing dropping it down to 1 + possible in the RC has lowered the mercury levels in my mouth enough that my body's getting ahead of the influx. I'm getting poisoned less so I feel better. I'm hoping-against-hope that chelation will improve some long-standing mental problems, like ADD-type symptoms, focus problems, procrastination, etc. Many other folks have seen improvements in those areas.

I started out on the normal Cour Four dose (1000iu E and 50 mg zinc, both 1x/day, plus 1000mg C and 100mg magnesium, 4x/day). I quickly got careless with my midday doses and slipped to C & Mg 2x/day, and I still felt much better. When I start chelation, with its added stresses and mercury redistribution, I'll go back to the full dosage & maybe more.

@sb4, as @arewenearlythereyet said, you can do that. But it's not nearly as effective as the oil. The oil products are not cheap, but if you need large doses of b12, they're TOTALLY worth it. They were a Godsend for me.

@Jamo77,
I've read that a healthy adult is supposed to be able to detox the mercury from about 6-7 amalgams. I had 8, plus probably some under my root canal crown. (Plus a likely poisoning event 5 years ago when a filling fell out. My worst symptoms started at that time.) I'm guessing dropping it down to 1 + possible in the RC has lowered the mercury levels in my mouth enough that my body's getting ahead of the influx. I'm getting poisoned less so I feel better. I'm hoping-against-hope that chelation will improve some long-standing mental problems, like ADD-type symptoms, focus problems, procrastination, etc. Many other folks have seen improvements in those areas.

Thats really interesting to read @garyfritz as Im just in the process of considering the amalgam factor myself. I have 7 fillings (most since childhood), some repaired as bits fell our along the way. I've frankly just been to scared to mess with them as it really sounds like a biggy with many people suffering set backs after having them taken out and then others not noticing any difference. Its a big roll of the dice both financially and health wise!

I've just bought Cutlers book last week and so making my way through that and will probably have hair sample test done next. Hearing your positive experience is very encouraging!

CCC

Happy to hear you've improved @garyfritz .

I think we've finally managed to step down by one slurp of B12 oil. We're now down to two slurps of the methylB12 every morning, plus a slurp of the adensyl/B12 oil every second or third day. That comes from a peak use of two slurps of each of the B12 oils every morning.

I guess we now beat you for B12 oils consumption!

The only things we've done are to keep applying the oil - so we might have finally topped up a deficit - and treating for Bartonella with antibiotics and the Buhner herbs. We also got a water filter to remove aluminium (based on some methylation and lyme reading), and it seemed to help in a general sense.

In case people want to know: low appetite, an extreme dislike of meat, and feeling poorly are the indicators of too much adenosylB12 for my son.

garyfritz

@CCC, I will gladly cede the "Biggest B12 Consumer" crown to you!!! :rofl:

@Chantal.p, removing the amalgams is indeed very risky -- ***IF*** you don't take proper precautions. You should find a dentist who specializes in mercury-safe removals. The IAOMT protocol (constant irrigation/vacuum and rubber oral dam to catch particles, external vacuum to remove mercury vapor, separate oxygen supply, cover face/eyes/clothing, etc) eliminates almost all of the danger. I've had 7 removed so far and didn't have any adverse effects. Go to https://iaomt.org/for-patients/search/ to find a dentist near you.

@garyfritz very encouraging!
Yes I have two dentists earmarked for if I go through with it - one is on the list you gave me (Evolve in bristol). The other isn't but seems to follow same safety protocol and is one hour away rather than over 2 hours (4 hour round trip plus treatment is going to be a struggle with health).

Its worth keeping in mind that Cutler believes ability to detox mercury naturally without the use of chelators varies 20 fold amongst different individuals. So for some a couple of silver fillings may be fine whilst for others catastrophic.

Gary I just want to add it is crazy when we hope that our health problems have been caused by mercury poisoning - I suppose the reason there is a way to detox and get it out and others have gotten better. A big thanks for sharing me your dosages on the Core 4.

Hi guys,

Question for you guys taking the oils - any issues with insomnia and if so how have you resolved?
I wasn't having much of an issue when I was taking sublingual and was ok when I first started on the oils but the last month has been really hard and it feels like its getting worse. I struggle to get to sleep, my restless leg syndrome is much much worse, if I do sleep I wake multiple times in the night and then early in the morning. Getting no more than a few hours each night which isn't conducive to healing so want to crack this!

My thoughts are:
Could this be because I'm taking the adeno/methyl oil which has a notable higher percentage of adeno than I was taking as sublibgual? Trouble is I bought 3 bottles of it and have only got through one so will be an expensive mistake to switch to methyl only now. @garyfritz you didnt get on with the mix is that right?

Maybe the insomnia is due to healing systems firing up with the more penetrative oils and I just need to guts it out? Maybe try taking all my folate earlier and loose my evening dose?

I have 2 snp mutations that result in high levels of dopamine and serotonin. The dopamine could be responsible for the wired effect and restless legs (although why is it so much worse now? Could combing off prozac have affected that?). My nutritionist wants me to take niacin to address this but I am very reluctant as I removed all niacimide from my protocol after reading @Freddd say that b3 (niacin) > 100mg can cause insatiable need for folate and potassium and decreased healing (and I already have a small amount giving me a flush in my B-right complex).

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated! I'm currently taking melatonin and valerian root and magnesium at night but none of these helping. Thinking about trialling Ashwagandha or GABA next.

arewenearlythereyet

Not sure how long in you are, but I found that it took a good 8 weeks after each dose change for things to settle down. While I was adjusting to/increasing dose of the oils I would typically have the following symptoms:

GI issues (alternating)
Heart palpitations
Insomnia
Nausea
Swings in available energy
Mouth ulcers
Mood changes/swings

I dealt with the heart palpitations with potassium chloride tablets and the insomnia by upping my magnesium regime significantly ( transdermal spray and Epsom salt baths). The insomnia did pass quite quickly ( after 2 or 3 weeks I think).

As for the rest, I weathered it and waited for it to stabilise until changing the next thing.

I used hydroxyl/methyl oil once in morning once at night and sublingual adenosyl once or twice a week. I manage on 3x400mcg of methyl folate and take a b complex twice a day. I reduced my Niacinamide dose by half during the early days and this helped reduce my histamine response to the oils.

I did notice an improvement in sleep once I started taking the nightly dose. I've been on this dose now since January. I'm mild/moderate and can walk for up to 20 mins, can't lift anything heavy but can't run skip, jump or trampoline!

lack of sleep (5 hrs or less) makes me 10 times worse than the normal crappy so I can imagine how rubbish this is for you. I hope it sorts itself out soon.

thanks for that @arewenearlythereyet ! I've been taking the oils for 2 months so be great if it just settled down as it has done for you - fingers crossed!

I only take 500mg (1 capsule of magnesium) in the evening so will try upping that and using the spray I haven't used for a while and the baths.

Interesting that you find the second evening dose helps - I'd presumed that would make me feel even more wired (although yours is without adeno i noticed). I will add it to the list of things to try. Going to try one at a time so I can see what has what effect!

Thanks for the reply and hope you work your way up to that trampoline!

outdamnspot

how do those with adrenal issues find they tolerate the oils? I tried Greg's approach of starting with B2 first, but didn't like how it made me feel, and never moved onto the oils (I couldn't tolerate methyl-b12 sublingual tablets due to crashes).

garyfritz

@Chantal.p, I think I'm totally different to you. I have RLS (though MUCH less since starting B12), but otherwise I'm different. My response to methyl B12 sublinguals was basically instant - I'd feel relief literally with seconds. But methyl alone didn't do the trick for me - I felt much better after I started the ado/me oil.

arewenearlythereyet

thanks for that @arewenearlythereyet ! I've been taking the oils for 2 months so be great if it just settled down as it has done for you - fingers crossed!

I only take 500mg (1 capsule of magnesium) in the evening so will try upping that and using the spray I haven't used for a while and the baths.

Interesting that you find the second evening dose helps - I'd presumed that would make me feel even more wired (although yours is without adeno i noticed). I will add it to the list of things to try. Going to try one at a time so I can see what has what effect!

Thanks for the reply and hope you work your way up to that trampoline!
good luck with it ....I think my trampolining days are over, but I would settle for a little less time sitting/lying down and a bit more spontaneity in general. I'm secretly hoping that once my b12 tank is filled I might be able to do a little more in the day.