• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Transcription profile analysis of vastus lateralis muscle from patients with CFS

Dolphin

I thought I'd start a thread on this paper as I've been finding the Italian muscle research really interesting. Unfortunately more than with most papers, my lack of knowledge of biology has got in the way of understanding it all (so I probably won't be able to add much).

This one is testing gene expression on muscle (usually blood is the tissue type used in CFS). Because of expected contaminsation from other tissues they did some sort of global expression testing.

Transcription profile analysis of vastus lateralis muscle from patients with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2009 Jul-Sep;22(3):795-807.

Pietrangelo T, Mancinelli R, Toniolo L, Montanari G, Vecchiet J, Fan G, Fulle S.

Source

Department of Basic and Applied Medical Sciences (BAMS), Center for Excellence on Aging (CeSI), University G. d'Annunzio Chieti-Pescara, Chieti, Italy. tiziana@unich.it

Abstract

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a disabling condition characterized by unexplained chronic fatigue that impairs normal activities.

Many body systems are affected and etiology has not yet been identified. In addition to immunological and psychological aspects, skeletal muscle symptoms are prominent in CFS patients.

In an effort to establish which pathways might be involved in the onset and development of muscle symptoms, we used global transcriptome analysis to identify genes that were differentially expressed in the vastus lateralis muscle of female and male CFS patients.

We found that the expression of genes that play key roles in mitochondrial function and oxidative balance, including superoxide dismutase 2, were altered, as were genes involved in energy production, muscular trophism and fiber phenotype determination.

Importantly, the expression of a gene encoding a component of the nicotinic cholinergic receptor binding site was reduced, suggesting impaired neuromuscular transmission.

We argue that these major biological processes could be involved in and/or responsible for the muscle symptoms of CFS.

PMID: 19822097 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

lansbergen

Importantly, the expression of a gene encoding a component of the nicotinic cholinergic receptor binding site was reduced, suggesting impaired neuromuscular transmission.

Rich did you see this?