• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Traditional Chinese Medicine Works

The issue of when to call it a day on trying alternative treatments is a very personal one and is often a financial decision as well unfortunately. I saw a homeopath for many years mainly because I believed in its philosophy and in the very deepseated beliefs of the particular lady that if I could express my emotions I would become well again (she, like many others, felt that unexpressed emotions manifested in physical symptoms). Eventually finances became a problem and I stopped seeing her. Some time later I had a lot of counselling/therapy to deal with emotional stuff and am now functioning very well on the whole emotionally - the only depression I experience is linked to an increase in symptoms/relapse. But needless to say I remain physically unwell.

It's so difficult to get a grasp on what, if any, treatments, are generally good for m.e without having a definitive test and understanding of what m.e really is. In the UK at least, it seems to be the case that anyone with unexplained fatigue is put under the m.e/cfs umbrella once more obvious conditions have been ruled out, but that doesn't mean that everyone has the same thing. Indeed fatigue without PEM or other neuro/immune symptoms can have many different causes.

And even among people with the same sort of m.e symptoms, the cause of them as well as the individual makeup of the person may result in certain treatments being helpful or absolutely useless. But it's still obviously good to hear about what has worked for people. In fact its essential, it gives us hope. But as I said, in terms of how much hope, energy, money etc one can put into a particular treatment or therapy is a very individual decision and no one should be judged for calling it a day on one treatment or just alternative treatments in general. I've yet to meet anyone who is seriously ill and wants to remain so; always they will try whatever they can, but sometimes the disappointment gets too much.

ChrisD

TCM in the form of acupuncture has been a revelation for me, although it only provides management for CFS rather than treatment. It really helped with my muscle pain symptoms which seemed like the most obvious symptom that could be treated tangibly, but then it has also helped with energy at times and also improving balance - I can't really fathom how. I suppose when you are fatigued and your body is so sensitive, it is an opportunity to witness the many astounding functions of the body and layers of our biology that without this sensitivity, we would never know existed. I have become fascinated by the way that tapping into these meridians of energy in our body, can stimulate internal organs and nervous/immune system. It is certainly not hocus pocus, for example, my acupuncturist has told me before now that she would work on Liver detox in that particular session, and then I have returned home and released the strongest smelling urine (ammonia or something) and felt significantly clearer and better. There have been so many obbservational factors for me, that it is so far beyond placebo, I just think that it is only complimentary to other therapies

I have been visiting a TCM doctor for the past six months and I have made a remarkable recovery.
Thank you for sharing ! I don't think your story sounds suspicious, some people are way too cynical, that's too bad. I also came across a recovery testimony on Reddit, someone who recovered from chronic fatigue with TCM, here is his testimony if anyone is interested. For 3 years he was constantly tired and he was sweating a lot during his crashes.

Rufous McKinney

I have been visiting a TCM doctor for the past six months and I have made a remarkable recovery. The combination of acupuncture and herbal tea (along with some dietary modifications) has helped me so much

Congratulations! Great to hear you found someone who can help you.

I've been mostly doing chinese traditional herbs (raw herbs) for a bout a decade and it has helped me tremendously, and I don't know where I would be without it.

My practitioner is very very good. But I know there are people who have some training but unless they are really focused on the very complex herb system, its hard to find the excellence required. (same at the doctors office).