• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Toxic Fog

We've had a thick fog here for the last few days (north england and scotland) and its just been announced tonight on the radio that it isn't fog at all.... Its fertiliser from France! And its toxic.

Its leaving a layer of dust on everything outside (though its also been announced that sand has travelled up here from the deserts in north africa too!)

Any normal people who have spent an hour or more in it have got ill with the runs so god knows how it would affect us.

They've said on the radio to keep all windows shut.

Just thought i'd give a shout out incase anyone in the area is thinking its just fog. I can't even see a meter out from the window its so thick. Gives me the chills looking at a wall of poison outside :nervous:

PS... It smells like something weird burning, i'm sleeping on the sofa tonight because my bedroom stinks :mad:

Last edited:

Cheesus

Have you got a link to a news article? I can't find anything about it online. I don't get outside, but my mum who commutes to Newcastle everyday says it doesn't smell weird at all. It's covering the whole North East as far as I can tell. If this were actually toxic surely there would be an uproar and, given the fact that it's covering a huge part of one of the most densely populated countries in the Western hemisphere, surely there would be more news about it.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
We had the dust covering everything here in wales - even thought it has been raining - everything is covered, we thought ti was Saharan dust as we have been having southern winds here and it has been quite warm.

Do you have a link for the radio programme you heard it on? I would also like to find out more about it.

Justy.

The thought crossed my mind too, and it may well be as i can't find any info online either and i can't remember if it was announced after midnight, but it was on Alan Robson's nightowls radio show and people were replying about it etc.

I can't get any info online about a hoax either o_O though i do know it stank last night between 11pm and 3am when it was at its thickest and the building was enveloped in it and it has left a film of dust everywhere. Its also pretty much gone now today

My mam has just told me that its still thick in her village and its affecting my Dad's breathing. She says it has a smell similar to gas to her. I can't smell anything here now its dispersed.

Feel free to take the info with a pinch of salt, as there's no information so far either way.

But after smelling it last night, thought better safe than sorry for us lot

Last edited:

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26844425

Air pollution: High levels 'to spread across England'

People in parts of England should be braced for "very high" levels of air pollution on Wednesday, the government has said.
Environment department Defra said high levels recorded on Tuesday in eastern England and the Midlands would spread.
The pollution - a mix of local and European emissions and dust from the Sahara - is set to move across southern England, the Midlands and East Anglia.
Those with lung or heart disease are urged to avoid strong exercise outside.

The whole thing is very strange! It turned out that it was actually a hoax! They had everyone in the north fooled! Especially because of the smell and the dust; But then oddly within 1 day it was suddenly on the news about the similar smog all over the country! So the one i reported was a hoax, but now its real anyway lol.

peggy-sue

If that was a hoax, it was not a suitable or appropriate one.

It obviously DID cause a great deal of alarm in some sick folk - and just one person getting as upset and worried as HHNFdid means somebody should have to take responsibility and apologise at least.:mad:

Min

Hoax or not, it was like a 2 day fog of thick choking bonfire smoke when there were no bonfires near, and everything was covered in a layer of yellow brown dust. My asthmatic husband could hardly breathe.