Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Townsend Letter - This Road to Health Hell with Oxalates

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by August59, Feb 9, 2015.

1. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    Hopefully this the right forum! I thought this article was pretty good and definitely paints a different picture than what mainstream health society tries to push on the general public and the sick as well!

http://www.townsendletter.com/Jan2015/green0115.html

Wayne, Kathevans, Tunguska and 3 others like this.
  2. Tunguska

Tunguska Senior Member

Thanks at one point I was looking for that quote

Little Bluestem and August59 like this.
  3. Sherpa

Sherpa Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie

USA
    It's been estimated that only about 25% of oxalate levels come from diet. High oxalate can also be caused by B12 deficency and low ATP.

Kathevans, Wayne, ahmo and 3 others like this.
  4. Kathevans

Kathevans Senior Member

Boston, Massachusetts
    Thanks for this post! It's terrific, though I found a couple of errors. Arugula is, in fact, very low oxalate (.71 oxalates/ 1/2 cup), and a wonderful replacement--along with watercress (low with 2.18 ox/ 1/2 cup)--for many green leafy things you might want to put in a salad! Also, blueberries are low. A half cup has only 4.3 whatevers/serving.

Wayne, Gondwanaland and August59 like this.
  5. sregan

sregan Senior Member

Southeast
    Seems backwards, like here is a lot of otherwise healthy stuff: Spinach, Kale, "a variety of berries or almonds" and now it's bad for us because it contains Anti-Freeze?

6. Kathevans

Kathevans Senior Member

Boston, Massachusetts
    Well, oxalates are most damaging to you if you are gut-compromised, if you've taken a lot of antibiotics which can kill off the oxalate-eating bacteria that we generally have in our microbiomes. This article suggests that if you eat way too many of them, that may also be a problem. B vitamin issues, which many of us struggle with, can also make us vulnerable...

Wayne likes this.
  7. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    I sort of took it as a guide in which I could use to evaluate what foods I can eat, not eat and look at my other foods available to me and keep focusing on developing a diet that consist of vast amount variabilities.

Of course devolping a highly variable diet sets the tone for keeping oxilates, sacilacates, thiols (some I'm forgetting) foods in check. In addition eating for many of the antioxidants and other advantageous foods while keeping your target protein, fats and complex carb levels will surely keep you busy. With all hopes of finding what works best for every individual

I certainly feel like it will be worth it in the future.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    Kathevans likes this.
  8. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Those are one and same issue to a large extent since the gut flora is a major source of B vits.

Kathevans likes this.
  9. Changexpert

Changexpert Senior Member

Interesting. Is there a way to build oxalate-eating bacteria back up? I've been trying resistance starch for a month, but do not see any improvement yet. Is there a food source or even supplement I can take?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  10. shoponl

shoponl

The main bacteria is oxalobacter formigenes, but a probiotic with this bacteria is not available commercially yet. In the meantime, the probiotic VSL#3 has been shown to degrade oxalates in vivo. Managing B vitamins (especially B1 and B6) is also helpful.

Reducing oxalates too suddenly, or taking large amounts of VSL#3, can cause oxalate "dumping" (flare-up) in some people.

There's a oxalates yahoo group here: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Trying_Low_Oxalates and a facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TryingLowOxalates/

Wayne, Kathevans and Gondwanaland like this.
  11. dazzammm

dazzammm

trawling through this site and the web im aware that oxalates causes joint / muscle pain. but how long does this take to have effect. If I eat a high oxalate food my fingers will ache within minutes. not sure if this is signifying something else, that this is normal or i have more crystals in my joints than the healing crystals stand at a craft fair ;o)

12. Kathevans

Kathevans Senior Member

Boston, Massachusetts
    I lowered my oxalate intake--thinks: regular chard, spinach, daily nuts to keep weight on, dark chocolate, sweet potatoes--pretty drastically from one day to the next last January, so over 8 months ago. My pain levels were very high. BUT, I also was having a terrible time with all those Bs, particularly the MeB-12 and Folate levels. I spent months having daily diarrhea. In retrospect, I think this was not only oxalate dumping, but also a paradoxical folate block, which I have to a much lesser, only rarely extent now that I can (barely!) tolerate 1 mg of B-12 and 400mcg of Folate.

My brother, like you, has a fairly rapid physical response to oxalates. I can only say that keeping my diet in the low-medium range, using calcium, magnesium, lots of B6 (25-35mg p5p daily) and finally being able to tolerate B-12 has reduced my pain a LOT. What I feel now is the damage from 15 years or more of having this disorder, not the drill-bit pain with every move I take.

Wayne likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.