• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Touching Base

bsw

w/r/t
Hey I've been on Freddd's protocol for about 2 weeks now and have started to notice minor improvements. I have also been able to start wrapping my head around all the different information out there on the protocol.
That being said, there is still a whole lot I don't understand. This thread is to clarify some of that.

1. It seems that folate requires can reach dosages that would require you to take a large amount of tablets (if the required dosage can get up to 30mg you would have to take around 12 tablets a day). This confuses me, especially since I don't know what I'm looking for when I take the methylfolate. So far all I've gotten is insomnia (Sleeping 4 hours a night) after taking too much. I currently take about 800mcg of methylfolate a day. What should I be aiming for and what bodily effects will tell me that I'm on the right track?

2. I have lost a little weight recently and my appetite seems to have increased. I assume that this is due to the L-Cartine Furmarate (It is marketed as a weight loss supp). Does this change indicate that the L-Cartine Fumarate is doing something?

3. I have taken small dosages (1/4 of a tablet) of AdoB12 every day for the past 4 days or so. I was unclear on the exact method of taking the tablet, as I have read that it is both optimal to take it weekly in a large dose or daily like MeB12.

4. Speaking of B12, how the heck do I get the sublingual to stay in my mouth for long periods? I can't seem to do it. Is it enough to have it be under my tongue for half an hour or an hour? I am worried about it not dissolving due to my mouth getting dry. Also, can I take both AboB12 and MeB12 at the same time?

5. How important are the critical cofactors mentioned? I am currently taking no cofactors at the moment. How much will this effect my recovery? How important are each of the cofactors? I assume the B-Complex is quite important (and ordered some earlier this week), but I feel unsure about the rest. Should I be trying harder to secure missing cofactors?

Regardless, I have been seeing minor improvements already thanks to this protocol. Hopefully this clarification can help my recovery. Thank you.

PeterPositive

1. It seems that folate requires can reach dosages that would require you to take a large amount of tablets (if the required dosage can get up to 30mg you would have to take around 12 tablets a day). This confuses me, especially since I don't know what I'm looking for when I take the methylfolate. So far all I've gotten is insomnia (Sleeping 4 hours a night) after taking too much. I currently take about 800mcg of methylfolate a day. What should I be aiming for and what bodily effects will tell me that I'm on the right track?
Few people really need those high dosages of folate.
Experimentation is really the key. I've pushed Metafolin up to 5mg/day and did not find any difference compared to ~3mg. So I've settled for that kind of amount. Other people do just fine with 800mcg or even less.

2. I have lost a little weight recently and my appetite seems to have increased. I assume that this is due to the L-Cartine Furmarate (It is marketed as a weight loss supp). Does this change indicate that the L-Cartine Fumarate is doing something?
It could be the B vitamins as well. B12, among others, is known to increase appetite.

3. I have taken small dosages (1/4 of a tablet) of AdoB12 every day for the past 4 days or so. I was unclear on the exact method of taking the tablet, as I have read that it is both optimal to take it weekly in a large dose or daily like MeB12.
I would not worry about that. These are minor adjustment that may or may not make a difference.

Keep in mind that Freddd is one person and we're all different, with very different symptoms, history, physical constitution, diet etc...

I take Adeno-B12 every day and it works pretty well. If I forget a couple of days I notice the difference especially in the afternoon.

4. Speaking of B12, how the heck do I get the sublingual to stay in my mouth for long periods? I can't seem to do it. Is it enough to have it be under my tongue for half an hour or an hour? I am worried about it not dissolving due to my mouth getting dry. Also, can I take both AboB12 and MeB12 at the same time?
I would not worry.
If you can keep them for 20-30 minutes you're already doing fine. Some people keep it between cheek and gum, this way it can last for over an hour.

Personally I don't feel any difference compared to sublingual.

As regards taking the two forms together I don't see problems. Some supplements contain both forms.

5. How important are the critical cofactors mentioned? I am currently taking no cofactors at the moment. How much will this effect my recovery? How important are each of the cofactors? I assume the B-Complex is quite important (and ordered some earlier this week), but I feel unsure about the rest. Should I be trying harder to secure missing cofactors?
The B complex is indeed very important, to keep the balance and make folate and B12 work.
Electrolytes can also play a fundamental role, such as potassium and magnesium.

Some people need to supplement, but it's not a rule. I didn't have to. Diet can play an important role here, and you can take plenty of K and Mg from a healthy diet.

Cheers

bsw

w/r/t
Figured. While I appreciate everything the protocol has done for me, the lack of standardization and a basic plan for how to proceed is confusing. While I like the independence that comes from being able to work all this out for myself, the fact that the information regarding the protocol and how to proceed is hidden under pages of Freddd's writing is intimidating and a turn off, especially for someone with heavy brain fog + fatigue. (Its why I went with Rich's protocol to begin with)

I wish someone could put together something more official and easier to digest. (I know people have put together summaries of the protocol and information regarding it, but I would like something that carries more authority then that.)

Regardless, the past week or so has been proof that the protocol is effective, if everything is in order. Managed to get assessment done, go to a party with friends and a fifth of the way through War and Peace. Hopefully my recovery continues so I can start give back to a community that has led to such a dramatic shift in my life.

ahmo

@bsw the first link in my signature is to a simplified version of Freddd's Protocol. also aturtles has a blog with some more recent comments from Fred.

Managed to get assessment done, go to a party with friends and a fifth of the way through War and Peace.
:thumbsup::balloons::balloons:

Last edited: