• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Topomax withdraw

Misfit Toy

I wanted to post this. I had said before that Topomax made me a zombie. When I first started, it was kicking my butt and all I wanted to do was sleep. I had to taper back to 12.5 mg. Even on such a small dose, my pain was reduced by 40%. That's huge.

But...alas, other symptoms or side effects came on. I became freezing on it. No matter what I wore, how the heat was at 75 degrees, I was bone cold. I could not warm up. My CFS doc said this was the norm with Topomax. His direct quote, "it can be the devil. It's a great drug, but it's got some negative side effects."

Then, the oversleeping turned to full on insomnia. Going to sleep at 5 to 6 am. What a nightmare. I would get up at 2 pm sometimes, 2:30. This was NOT like me. I normally go to bed between 3 and 3:30 am. I know, some are like...well, that's later, but it makes a huge difference to go to sleep at 5 am. My day would start when everyone else was ready to come home from work. It was messing me up mentally.

I called my rheumatologist. Told him what was going on. Told him I wanted to stop the Plaquenil for Sjogrens. He said, "No, these symptoms are from the Topomax." Stop it. So, I did. I stopped it Sunday.

Now, I can't sleep AT ALL. I sleep 3 hours with the help of Tizanidine. Lovely

I am in so much pain and in full on insomnia mode. This stinks. I can't stand medicine. Every med brings side effects that suck. It helped with pain, it just brought on insomnia and freezing cold and I lost weight on it. 6 pounds and let me tell you...I can't afford to lose weight. I had no appetite on it.

But...now I can't sleep and my pain is through the roof.

So bummed. But, feel the need to give people this info.

Nielk

I'm sorry about your painful experience. I'm surprised that your doctor told you to stop taking it cold turkey. topi max should be titrated down slowly as to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

Misfit Toy

@Nielk I think The reason he had me stop it quickly is because I was only on 12.5 mg so going lower seems maybe pointless? I'm not sure.

Martial

Probably best just to continue staying off of it. There are many other things you can try for the sleep and pain, medicinal and natural options.

john66

I have no experience with Topamax, when I stopped cymbalta, I was counting the grains. Cymbalta made me gain weight that was unnatural.

Misfit Toy

Antidepressants can do that. I hate that! I started Remeron for sleep and I will not be on it long because the last time it made me FAT. Oompa Loompa fat.

But I slept 9 hours straight last night! Woo hoo! :thumbsup:

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
It is also normal to have loss of appetite and loss of weight with topiramate.

I didn't know it could make one cold.