• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tooth ache started - a sign of my immune system changing??

snowathlete

I have a number of cavities, but having had bad experience of dentists in the past, i only go if i get bad pain. I havent had any for several years.

I started the methylation protocol about a week ago, and the day before yesterday my teeth started aching. At first i thought it was just a tooth had got bad, but then another tooth started aching too. and then anohter. all my dodgy ones are hurting now.

This got me wondering why. Could it be some kind of change in my immune system? Perhaps brought on by starting the methylation cycle? Its the only thing i can think of that has changed. If so, then pain aside, i guess this is a good thing.

suzanne

Hi snowathlete,
I have had 2 sorts of pain with my teeth since starting the mb12 protocol. In the first couple of weeks ot the protocol my teeth had so much pain (back teeth only) that i really was thinking I would like to pul them out- I was so desperate that I packed my teeth in a charcoal paste that i read would help draw out toxins. What I noticed was that the pain was really ba for 2 weeks and then over the next 6 weeks or so it subsided and only comes and goes occaisonally now ( 4 1/2 month point).

But recently i suffered from sensitive teeth at the gum line- it was a different issue than the pain, which I also think was a start up reaction to the mb12. The recent sensitivity has been to using the jarrows b12 sublingual. To avoid this problem i now either take the jarrows under my tongue, or better still have changed brands and swaped to Enzymatic.

Hang in there and I hope this helps.

gu3vara

I also had a massive increase in nerve sensitivity in my teeth a couple weeks after starting the protocol, it's not related to citric acid in b12 for me. It passed and I still use the same b12.

snowathlete

ive been taking the b12 under my tongue, so dont expect it is that, but it could be. i cant swallow it all i guess.

Waverunner

ive been taking the b12 under my tongue, so dont expect it is that, but it could be. i cant swallow it all i guess.

This is all just speculation. To know what is really going on with your teeth you should visit a dentist. There are so many nice dentists out there but you have to look for them. Falsely waiting too long now, will only make things much more worse in the future.

snowathlete

This is all just speculation. To know what is really going on with your teeth you should visit a dentist. There are so many nice dentists out there but you have to look for them. Falsely waiting too long now, will only make things much more worse in the future.

True, i need to visit a dentist. But its not straight forward because i cant afford the 200 its going to cost, and even if i could i dont know i could get an NHS dentist as im not registered with one at the moment.

I know there must be good dentists out there, but my experience of NHS dentists hasntn been good. Its partly about the system, whereby they would rather spread your treatment out over greater than three months to get more cash out of you, and partly the fact they are genuinely busy, so they rush the treatment. Im sure this isnt all NHS dentists, but its three out of the four that i have seen in my life, so i dont fancy my chances of finding a good one this time out. The frustrating thing is that i cant even go on a reccomendation from someone because they will all be full already and not taking on new patients.

Anway, that aside, it still seems really odd that lots of my teeth are suddenly hurting alot at the same time. Something must have caused that.

sianrecovery

Hi guys
Great to have the identification. I started Rich's protocol a week ago and have in that time passed a kidney stone and have had unpleasant dental pain. This is very similar to a detox reaction I had when I started Perrin treatment, and Ray Perrin's take on the dental pain was that it was partly exacerbated by inflamatory cytokines, which in turn are cascaded on by detox reactions. I also have crap teeth to be fair, and have spent alot of money over the last year having infected root fillings redone (I have paid a price for incompetent NHS dentistry some years ago - so -called root fillings which were nothing more than metal filled holes etc etc). I actually think for me the long running low level infections in my mouth, of which I was pretty much unaware, were a significant part of unbalancing my immune response. I now am very meticulous re dental hygiene, there's a good section on stuff you can do to look after yourself on the betterhealthguy website. A product that has saved me from going nuts a couple of times with long term dental pain is called PerioRub, by a company called Nature's Answer. I get it in my local health food shop. It not expensive. the website listed on the back is naturesanswer.com (I have no financial interest here!) I also do mouthwashes with golden seal and grapefruit seed extract. In a strange way, I am reassured I am on the right track with the protocol precisely because its kicked off this stuff again. Fingers crossed. Anyone have feedback on how long before they started feeling better with it ?

snowathlete

I did read a post on here about one guy who had ME and in the end it was down to Cavitation of his jaw bone because of bad root canal/tooth extraction.

I've started reading a bit about it on this site:
http://biologicdentists.com/custom2.html

If this stuff is correct then i really wonder if this might be a problem for me. Thing is its gonna cost about 300 to have the right scan done to find out, and there arent many places in the UK that can do it. There is one in Bedford.

My jaw has always (well at least since my last root canal was done) ached and i had always assumed it was wisdom teeth moving around, but now i am wondering about that....

snowathlete

Exciting news on the place in Bedford - could you post details? thanks

http://www.munro-hallclinic.com/

Before this i need to go to an NHS dentist, because it hurts so bad and I need to get that sorted immediately. I guess i will ask whether there are any signs of further infection. But from what i read xrays often dont pick them up, so even if its a "no" i might still have to go look into this properly.

snowathlete

I visited the emergency dentist today. I have an infection above one of my teeth which i have been given anti-biotics for. I have an appointment next week to have root-canal to sort it properly.

Still in alot of pain. Hope the antibiotics work well and quickly.

sianrecovery

I feel for you there Snow athlete - its a familiar one to me and I know how much it bloody hurts. The antibiotics will hopefully kick in quickly - they always have for me. If you take probiotics, my nutrionalist said to take them at least three hours away from the anti's. Dr Myhill also told me if I was taking asprin or paracetamol for pain to try one of each rather than two of one (if that makes sense). She said they both have unwanted effects for MEers and that method helps with two pain pathways and to diffuse the side effects. Thanks for posting the clinic in Bedford. Good luck. Dont forget clove oil helps.

snowathlete

Yes, i heard that you shoudl take probiotics during/after antibiotics, so i will have to remember to do that.

I have paracetamol, cocodamol, ibuprophen and aspirin, but to be honest they never seem to work for me, whatever type of pain i have. I dont understand why, but i dont ever bother with them anymore.

Dont forget clove oil helps.
I bought something with it in and it works amazing, i was really surprised. Basically a local anysthetic. Only worked for 10 minutes though...but still well worth getting.

Thanks everyone for your help.

sianrecovery

I also found a couple of drops of tea tree oil on sendsodyne rapid relief toothpaste, and then brushing, helped relieve acute pain. I dont ususally use toothpastes with flouride, but when I have a dental infection, its whatever works. My holistic dentist is also keen on a paste propolis from a company called Beevital. hope the antibiotics have kicked in.

snowathlete

Well the pain got so bad and paracetamol and ibuprofen did nothing, so i went to my GP and got some pain killers -dihydrocodeine. Taken them for two days now, but they arent doign much either.
Pain killers dont seem to do much for me unfortunately.

THe pain has lessened a little, but i think thats down to the antibiotics begining to work...thanks everyone for your support and advise.

snowathlete

I stopped taking pain killers since I was told they were bad for glutathione...

I know that Ibuprofen has argine in it, so thats not good for glutathione, but i dont know about the others.
Either way, i would take any pain killers if they would get rid of this pain, but they just arent working. Most of the way through my amoxicilin now, but its still infected badly.
I suspect that i am going to have to go in and get another round of antibiotics, as he said he couldnt do the RC until it was cleared up. I also have a sore throat - my baby has a cold - so this is another sign that my immune system has changed under the methylation protocol. I havent had a cold or sore throat since i got ME/CFS so this is GREAT news!

Still, my concern is that the infection might have been present for a while before i started the protocol, and so it seems to have quite a stranglehold. Im also worried about how much my body newly switched on immune system is having to deal with.

My tooth infection, a cold coming, any viruses or other problems that i have collected over the last three years...