• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

To those taking hydrocortisone: how much are you on?

alice111

just wanted to get an idea of how much people are taking.
The dose recommended seems to vary, and since us M.E -ers seem to be ultra sensitive I wanted to know if some people are taking tiny doses, or high doses?
if you could please note the following:
-your daily dose
-what time you take it at
-how long you have been taking it for
and of course if you are up for it/ have the time how it has helped or hindered.

feel free to post if you are taking a cortef equivalent as well such as prednisone or dex.
thanks so much! :)

Ema

I've taken hydrocortisone for several years on and off. I seem to dip in and out of adrenal insufficiency for some unknown reason on top of the hypocortisolism many of us experience with ME/CFS. I also have a family history of Addison's disease.

Steroids have definitely helped me both in functioning and in immune response but like everything can be tricky to dose and are not a miracle cure.

I take 0.25 mg dex at bedtime now and 20-25 mg of HC during the day. I've taken just about every combination of steroid and the combination of a long acting steroid with the shorter acting HC is what seems to work best for me.

roxie60

I was just prescribed hydrocortizone/cortef but I'm not sure if I should take it. I supposedly have lyme and I do have coinfections and steroids are thought to be not a good idea. Llmd wants me to take 5 mg am, 5 mg 12n, 2.5mg 4p then take. Cortisol manager at bed. I guess I'm scared to add another drug.