• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Titrating Naltrexone

SwanRonson

I dissolved one 50mg naltrexone in a 50ml vial of distilled water per doc's instructions for titrating. My question is do you store it in the fridge or leave it out room temp? And, it's cloudy, so I'm assuming I should shake it up before dosing with the dropper?

*GG*

Mine was not cloudy the 1st couple times, on the 3rd or 4th tablet. Doesn't seem to be settling down. All from the same batch, I am storing it in the door of the fridge now, because it was getting "lost" in the refrigerator, and was frustrating me!

I let it dissolve at room temp for an hour or so.

GG

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
It needs refrigeration to prevent/reduce bacterial growth (which is also the reason for using distilled water).

You don't need to mix it. The cloudiness is from the binder used to keep the tablet in one piece, and bulking agents used to make the tablet large enough to handle. Naltrexone is water soluble so you can just draw the liquid off the top of the container. Some people filter out the binder by using a coffee filter (dampened first so it doesn't absorb much of the naltrexone mixture.)

If starting at 1mg/day is too much then you can use a 50mg tablet in 100ml of water for 0.5mg/day, or 200ml of water for 0.25mg/day depending on your reactions.

ahmo

I pour some into a container for daily use, keep at room temp. I keep it all at room temp during the winter, refrigerate the larger amount during the summer. I tend to strain out the sediment w/ a cloth.

I store mine in the fridge inside a paper bag, to protect it from light. I'm not sure if that last part is necessary but my mother is a pharmacist and in general she thinks that all drugs should be stored away from light.

Awhile back I had found this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9391680
Formulation and stability of naltrexone oral liquid for rapid withdrawal from methadone.

CONCLUSIONS:
Naltrexone 1 mg/mL oral liquids prepared from tablets or powder are stable when stored in the dark for 60 days at 4 degrees C and for 30 days at 25 degrees C.