• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tips on using Mag. oil?

Ocean

I finally received my order of Ancient Minerals magnesium oil. I have been sleeping horribly and I hope this is going to help. For those who use magnesium oil and find it helpful, I have a few questions.

Do you wipe the oil off after 20-30 minutes or just leave it on?
How much do you put on each day?
What time of day do you use it? Do you put it on right before bed or earlier?
Any other tips?

Thank you so much.

anne_likes_red

Hi Ocean, I was wondering if you had your oil yet.

I leave the oil on, and I try not to rub anything over my skin for 20 minutes after application.

I put 4 sprays on my arms, after a shower - late-morning usually, and when possible I sit out in the sunshine for at least 20 minutes.
Then at night I get 4 sprays rubbed over my back and shoulders just before sleep!

I always feel relaxed after using the oil. The sensation is quite noticible. I'm certain it's very well absorbed. :)

Other tips:

Apply the spray to soft skin like the underside of your arms, inside legs, even your stomach is ok for absorption I think.

The oil may sting or tingle slightly after application. (This only rarely happens with me and I believe it's not a bad sign.)

Start with just one spray once a day and build up slowly. In my case, the magnesium seemed to kick-start a few sluggish detoxification enzymes and I found building up to quickly made me feel pretty bad. Adding in extra B vitamins helped.

Hope that helps..
Anne.

Ocean

Anne Likes Red,

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. So I'll just do the one spray a bit before bed and see how I do on that. Thank you!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi Ocean - I emailed the manufacturer of my Mg oil to see how long you had to leave it on because I found that my clothes were absorbing it and it was making them sticky and uncomfortable. He said the Mg would be absorbed in a few minutes so now I spray it on, rub it in, leave it on maybe 15 mins to be on the safe side and flannel it off.

It's recommended that you apply it to your thinner skin (tops of feet, behind ankles, behind knees, underarm, crooks of elbows) as well as other areas because it will be better absorbed. I worked up to 10 sprays in the morning, 10 in the evening.

It can sometimes tingle. I ignored very strong tingling on the front of my shins once, even when it turned into a burning sensation and had what looked like a speckled reddened area on skin which took some weeks to fade. My fault! If that happens now, I wipe the oil away from the areas that are burning. Mostly that doesn't happen at all - I don't know why now and again it does.

Some people dilute the oil with water or mix it in with body cream to avoid the stickiness and reduce the risk of stinging.

Don't let me put you off! It's safe if you're not careless with it like I was, and it's the only way I can absorb Mg (tablets made me ill).

I don't time in in relation to bedtime, I just do it when it's handy. But maybe it would help with your sleep - can't hurt to try!

*GG*

Would under arms include arm pits? I would think it is less likely to get wiped off there and perhaps the skin is thin also?

GG

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Would under arms include arm pits? I would think it is less likely to get wiped off there and perhaps the skin is thin also?

GG

That's how I interpret it (though I don't do it because I put anti-perspirant under my arms). I think it would be well absorbed, though.

Ocean

Thanks so much for the tips Sasha. I will experiment with different areas of skin and try to start slowly. I always want to jump right in, especially because I've been waiting for the bottle to arrive for quite a while now!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks so much for the tips Sasha. I will experiment with different areas of skin and try to start slowly. I always want to jump right in, especially because I've been waiting for the bottle to arrive for quite a while now!

You're welcome! BTW I should have said to apply to the tops of your feet, (I've edited my OP) which is where the skin is thinner - not the soles.

Good luck - hope you get on well with it!

Ocean

Just a quick update on this. I've been using the spray and my skin is very sensitive to it. I get very itchy and break out in a rash. So far my belly has been the least sensitive spot. My arms broke out right away. I haven't noticed better sleep or less restless leg yet but I haven't been using it very long yet. It seems like maybe it leaves a residue and some kind of blue hue on clothing? Either way, I'm happy to have it and I'm hoping it will start to help over time. I wish I didn't break out from it but will keep trying it. Maybe I will try it in lotion too as suggested above. Thanks everyone for the tips.

Gavman

Not sure about the rash, Ocean. Does your skin normally feel hydrated? like if you run your hand up along your forearm does it get caught? And do you have dry hair or are you hyperflexible? Could be factors in it.
Good ideas about the oil, annie.

Ocean

Gavman, My skin is fine, not dry, but it has always been sensitive and gets irritated easily so I'm thinking maybe it's that. The magnesium oil is irritating because of the little particles of what I guess is magnesium salt or whatever. The oil gives me a rash on most parts of my body but my belly has been okay for it as long as I wash it off after about 20 minutes and that's working okay. Thank you!