• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tips for Not Fainting at the Doctor?

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
I'm not sure if this is a CFS thing or if I'm just sensitive, but my body really wants to pass out during medical procedures that involve puncturing the skin, including blood tests. Oddly enough, I'm fine with other painful and invasive tests that involve using already-existing holes in my body!

Today I had a small skin biopsy. I was lying down, I had a nice local anesthetic so I didn't feel anything, and I wasn't looking. The procedure went well, the nurse finished, and then all of the sudden I felt all of the blood leave my head. Thankfully I didn't pass out (which I have done on a few occasions) and recovered after a few minutes. I felt pretty pathetic, but thankfully she was nice to me.

I need to have another procedure tomorrow that involves a lot of needles. I'm only slightly anxious about the procedure itself, but I am terrified of fainting or getting faint. I absolutely hate that feeling of being on the verge of fainting!

Do any of you with similar experiences have any tips and tricks for dealing with this, other than lying down?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I'm not sure if this is a CFS thing or if I'm just sensitive, but my body really wants to pass out during medical procedures that involve puncturing the skin, including blood tests.
Could it be vasovagal or neurocardiogenic syncope? I've had this with blood draws.

BadBadBear

Sounds like vasovagal syncope. Just tell them that you have it. It happens to me sometimes, too. If they know, they will take precautions with you.

Work on your breathing, try to stay calm. You can try 'bearing down ' which is vagal stimulating. It might help. Lying down is definitely safer than being seated or standing.

Vagaling out is no fun, take care and be safe.

bombsh3ll

Probably late in the day but could you get a prescription for a small dose of diazepam? Also make sure you are well hydrated and look away from the site of the procedure.