• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

tinctures vs capsules

I know that tinctures absorb better, but why is it that the dosage recommended on tincture labels are much higher than the dosage for capsules and tablets. For example, a supplement in capsule form could have a recommended dose of 400mg, but in tincture form, it is 2000mg. Is it a cash grab?

Last edited:

Kenshin

Probably because the tincture only contains what the alcohol absorbed from the herb, whereas the capsule contains the powdered herb or extract. But I doubt the body absorbs 100% of what's in a herb in it's raw state with it's fibre etc.

Also I've found store bought tinctures are both weak and expensive
compared to home made tinctures.

Probably because the tincture only contains what the alcohol absorbed from the herb, whereas the capsule contains the powdered herb or extract. But I doubt the body absorbs 100% of what's in a herb in it's raw state with it's fibre etc.

Also I've found store bought tinctures are both weak and expensive
compared to home made tinctures.

That makes sense.

BTW, I like your username :)