• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Timing of B12 and MMA test?

Hi There,

I really tried to surf through all the information on this site for the answer, but had no luck.

A little background. About 6 months ago or so I was having extreme tingling and numbness in hands and feet and my regular GP tested serum B12 and folate. B12 was elevated... 1036, I believe. She assumed I was supplementing at the time (I wasn't) and sort of wrote it off. 2 months later I moved to a new city and started seeing a functional med guy who guessed that due to my history of vegetarian and veganism and my gastro problems that I likely had a functional B12 deficiency. He started me on methyl and folate. Within a few weeks symptoms subsided. A few weeks into the treatment I started feeling crappy and realized it was a potassium issue, upped my potassium and it went away.

Now, 3 months or so after treatment I have been feeling insanely tired for about 5 or 6 days. I have had a return of tingling in extremities, have muscle spasms and just generally feel beaten down. I assumed it was potassium again and upped my potassium food intake to around 4600, which has not helped much.

So, I am thinking I want to re-test and do MMA as well this time to be sure that it is in fact a B12 deficiency we are dealing with and that I am not barking up the wrong tree. So, how long do I need to cease supplementing B12 before testing? Or do I not at all because we want to see what is actually being absorbed? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Valentijn

Low magnesium can also cause muscle spasms. Supplementing twice daily with Jarrow's brand has worked well for me in avoiding that problem.

To avoid the potassium problem, you could try using the hydroxocobalamin form of B12. If you're draining potassium, it's probably due to using the methylcobalamin form. Some people do need the methyl- form, but most are fine with hydroxocobalamin.

Low magnesium can also cause muscle spasms. Supplementing twice daily with Jarrow's brand has worked well for me in avoiding that problem.

To avoid the potassium problem, you could try using the hydroxocobalamin form of B12. If you're draining potassium, it's probably due to using the methylcobalamin form. Some people do need the methyl- form, but most are fine with hydroxocobalamin.
Thanks for the thoughts. I do supplement Magnesium as well so I doubt that is the problem. Any ideas on the timing of the tests? Or can you point me in the direction on this forum where I might find the answer? Thanks!