• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Time to swot up on chronic fatigue" - New Statesman

JayS

True. I actually got mixed up & was thinking of the effect of clicking through on sponsors just to show traffic driven to their sites from friendly sources as well. Might've seen that mentioned on another thread, can't remember.

SOC

What the bean counters have to say can have influence if someone wants to try to write more on the same topic in the same publication.

Yes, but I don't think one person leaving several footbprints is going to influence that one way or the other.
That assumes they're somehow counting individuals rather than site visits. I was hoping for a more definitive answer than 'some guy on the internet doesn't think it's going to make a difference.' If website analytics include both total hits and individual users as @Kyla says, then multiple hits by individual users could make a difference if multiple people read the piece (good or bad) multiple times.

I think @JayS has a good point. Bean counters are the ones controlling what gets published and what doesn't. Journalists have made it clear lately that it's not about what they want to write, it's about what the publisher wants to publish.

searcher

That assumes they're somehow counting individuals rather than site visits. I was hoping for a more definitive answer than 'some guy on the internet doesn't think it's going to make a difference.' If website analytics include both total hits and individual users as @Kyla says, then multiple hits by individual users could make a difference if multiple people read the piece (good or bad) multiple times.

I think @JayS has a good point. Bean counters are the ones controlling what gets published and what doesn't. Journalists have made it clear lately that it's not about what they want to write, it's about what the publisher wants to publish.

Web-site analytics include total hits and unique visitors. Unique visitors and time on site are usually the most important. So I wouldn't worry about visiting a bad article multiple times, and conversely wouldn't spend time visiting a good article multiple times unless you are looking for specific information. (there are exceptions if you are using a protocol like tor that makes you appear like you are coming from a different location than you are, but only geeks like me typically use the Tor Browser.)