• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

time-release Vitamin C

outdamnspot

I often struggle to sleep at night due to excess adrenaline. I find that if I take approx. 2g of time-release Vit C before bed, it soothes me and I fall asleep without issue.

Sadly, the sleep quality is terrible, and the next day I have a TONNE more energy (albeit dysphoric energy).

Can anyone guess why? I presumed it was due to increasing Serotonin/Norepinephrine synthesis?

drob31

I often struggle to sleep at night due to excess adrenaline. I find that if I take approx. 2g of time-release Vit C before bed, it soothes me and I fall asleep without issue.

Sadly, the sleep quality is terrible, and the next day I have a TONNE more energy (albeit dysphoric energy).

Can anyone guess why? I presumed it was due to increasing Serotonin/Norepinephrine synthesis?

Vitamin C would upregulate BH4 which creates seratonin, dopamine, thyroid hormones, melanin and to detox ammonia.

outdamnspot

Vitamin C would upregulate BH4 which creates seratonin, dopamine, thyroid hormones, melanin and to detox ammonia.

Interesting. I don't really get the same effect from regular Vit C, and it doesn't help me sleep in the way the time-release version does (well, get to sleep -- as I say, the quality is terrible).